Honored Contributor

Re: The Bahamas

[ Edited ]

I read that the government believed its first commitment was to assist those who survived, to help them secure food, drink and shelter.  Counting the dead had to wait.

Makes sense to me.  And as someone wrote, there may never be an accurate count since a great number were swept out to sea.

With displacement, etc., how will authorities accurately count the number who perished in this apocalyptic natural disaster? 

Honored Contributor

World Central Kitchen has been there since 2 days before the storm hit.  Doing Good Stuff.  

DH and I were married one September on Bimini.  🌴 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

Our men and women of the US Coast Guard have been doing amazing work serving those who are in need.

Image may contain: 1 person, standing and outdoor

Coast Guard crewmembers off load boxes of supplies in the Bahamas during Hurricane Dorian response operations.
Image may contain: sky and outdoor

As of 9 a.m. today, the Coast Guard has rescued 406 people. Coast Guard assets will remain in the Bahamas as part of Operation Bahamas, Turks and Caicos (OPBAT). The Coast Guard remains poised to send aircraft and cutters back into the Bahamas to assist with urgent search and rescue needs.

Respected Contributor
Thank goodness we're providing food. It will take many cruise ships to help house families who are stranded, exposed to the elements, no place to shower, defecate, urinate. The stench of the dead rotting under flattened structures all around. Whole families wandering. I'm waiting for crime and anarchy. That it hasnt happened yet is a testament to Bahamians.
Honored Contributor

Great reporting on our terrific Coast Guard involvement, @MorningLover.   There's such a long road back for Bahamians from this storm devastation.  Prayers for them, and all who are out there working and helping. 

Honored Contributor

@Drythe 

I've seen the chef a number of times in interviews. He and his staff have been so wonderful.

Good to see the humanitarian aid.  Their task is mammouth.  

Bless them all, the survivors and those who help.

Valued Contributor

My local morning radio show is having a 48 hour benefit fpr the Bahamas.  48 hours for the storm that stayed over the islands.  Their goal was 100k.  A few hours ago, they were at almost 120k.  It ends at 10 am tomorrow.  

Honored Contributor

Given the unfathomable devastation, the least we can do is give Temporary Protective Status (TPS) to Bahamians in the U.S. It is merely for six months and applies only to those who are here, not to those who might want to enter.

It's a common sense move that has been frequently used in times of disaster.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland