Reply
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,065
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

@Q2girl wrote:

Chynna Blue.  Listen to the retailers they are not allowed to say Merry Christmas.  This sounds pretty anti Christmas to me.  Where do you have your head buried? Fox has nothing to do with it.  Listen to CNN they do it too.  


 

A couple of years ago, it came out that retailers were telling their employees NOT to say Merry Christmas.  There was a huge backlash and many backed down for fear of losing sales.  Sadly, it's all about the $$$, but I'm glad some are going back to saying Merry Christmas.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor
Posts: 16,147
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

I say merry Christmas, when someone says happy holidays, i will not take Christ out of my greeting.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,752
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@KYToby wrote:

@Q2girl wrote:

Chynna Blue.  Listen to the retailers they are not allowed to say Merry Christmas.  This sounds pretty anti Christmas to me.  Where do you have your head buried? Fox has nothing to do with it.  Listen to CNN they do it too.  


 

Nothing is prohibiting retailers from sayihng "Merry Christmas."  The whole controversy is contrived and silly.

 

Retailers frequently use "Happy Holidays" because in this time of year -- a time of year which stretches from the end of October into January and includes Halloween, All Saints Day, Thanksgiving, Chanukah, Advent, Solstice, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Kwanzaa, New Year's Eve, New Year's Day, Eiphany, and Orhtodox Christmas -- it is inclusive and welcoming, plus it provides general well-wishes for this entire time of year.

 

Some people, though, who feel that unless their own holiday is specified, find it offensive because, apparently, it is somehow awful and offensive to wish everyone well.  Again, this is contrived and silly.

 

I do not celebrate Christmas, personally; however, as long as someone wishes me well -- whether it be "Merry Christmas," "Happy holidays," or even "Have a Cool Yule," I take it in the spirit in which it was intended and appreciate the pleasant thoughts and warm feelings. 


_____________________________________________________________

I guess someone took offense to my response because it appears to be gone now.  LOL.  I'll just say ITA with kytoby.

 


************************

 

Me, too @mstyrion 1

 

Why some people are opposed to including everyone who celebrates at this time of the year is beyond me. 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,931
Registered: ‎01-09-2011

Merry Christmas, I have always said it and will continue to. Frankly, there were a few years in there that the "PC Pusher Police" were out in force. We now live in an age where there is a segment of society that gets their undies in a bundle over EVERYTHING, unless (of course)  it's the exact way they want it. So especially to them:

 

Merry Christmas, Peace on Earth, Ho Ho Ho and Eat More Sprinkle Sugar Cookies!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,752
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Jacie wrote:

Merry Christmas, I have always said it and will continue to. Frankly, there were a few years in there that the "PC Pusher Police" were out in force. We now live in an age where there is a segment of society that gets their undies in a bundle over EVERYTHING, unless (of course)  it's the exact way they want it. So especially to them:

 

Merry Christmas, Peace on Earth, Ho Ho Ho and Eat More Sprinkle Sugar Cookies!


*****************************

 

I agree, I will never understand why some people think everyone has to say a greeting designed for them only, not Happy Holidays which includes others who also celebrate at this time of the year.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,648
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Well said, Noel!  Like the rest, I cannot even imagine not being considerate of the person or persons on the other end of the greeting.   Everything is not about me.  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,138
Registered: ‎05-20-2011

If someone wishes me Merry Christmas I always say it back, but if I am inititating I will often say "have a good holiday" because I don't know if they celebrate Christmas or not. I don't think I'm being political, I just live in a pretty diverse area where not everyone does celebrate Christmas so I feel reluctant.  I have noticed many more people saying Merry Christmas this year though, so it does seem more people are bucking the pc system.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,148
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

I have been hearing it a lot this year!  :-)

Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,752
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

@chickenbutt wrote:

Well said, Noel!  Like the rest, I cannot even imagine not being considerate of the person or persons on the other end of the greeting.   Everything is not about me.  Smiley Happy


************************

 

And there it is, @chickenbutt.  Some people think the holidays are only about them, tough break if anyone else thinks they would like to be in on the good wishes, too.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,648
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Noel7 wrote:

chickenbutt wrote:

Well said, Noel!  Like the rest, I cannot even imagine not being considerate of the person or persons on the other end of the greeting.   Everything is not about me.  Smiley Happy


************************

 

And there it is, @chickenbutt.  Some people think the holidays are only about them, tough break if anyone else thinks they would like to be in on the good wishes, too.


 

Sometimes what I've seen is people hurling their 'greeting' upon others like it's some kind of a weapon.   I really don't understand that sentiment.  It's like 'it you don't like merry christmas, tough noogies because that's all you'll get from me'.  How is that a well-wishing, thoughtful, greeting?