Honored Contributor

Re: The Autumn Moon Festival

• yes, @Noel7, I didn't look it up, but I've been surprised at what a large Vietnamese population is in San Jose, and even in our local Bay area. And Sikhs. I still want to go to the Sikh temple for Diwali.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:
  • yes, @Noel7, I didn't look it up, but I've been surprised at what a large Vietnamese population is in San Jose, and even in our local Bay area. And Sikhs. I still want to go to the Sikh temple for Diwali.

@Moonchilde

The Sikh temple would be wonderful!  The Sikh community is very into sharing feasts with visitors, it's part of their culture from what I've heard.

When you go, I'd love to hear about it.

I have a friend who grew up in Vietnam, he often takes his mother to the community and a particular temple in San Jose.  There must be a lot of good food around there.

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

Hi Noel

It is celebrated in people's home - with the Moon Cakes that is.  I have a recipe for the Moon Cakes that is altered - instead of the pork or other meats and beans, it's made more like a sweet pastry.  Using the Moon Cake mold.   

I will check out Costco for the Moon Cakes. 

@Puzzle Piece

I'd be interested to know if your Costco participates, too.  They have fancy bags with a handle for the moon cake package which makes it look like a gift, evidently that's part of the family get together, giving the cakes.

Yes, here in the Los Angeles area, moon cakes are sold at many Costco's though not all.  Yes, it is a special get together for a special occasion of sort.  Certain folks are invited, tea is brewed, and a slice of the Moon Cake is distributed with good wishes, hopes, and dreams.  It's a very old tradition brought to the Americas by the Chinese, Vietnamese, and some others.  The Moon Cake molds are something sentimental in value as many are handed down from one generation to another.  The women from another land brought this tradition with them many years ago and it is still practiced. An ancient tradition that many can participate in today if one wishes. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@Puzzle Piece

I read a Wiki article about it yesterday, I wanted more details, especially how old the celebration was.  Wiki said it goes back to the 16th century BCE (before Christ).

If you're interested, it's here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Autumn_Festival

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Puzzle Piece

I read a Wiki article about it yesterday, I wanted more details, especially how old the celebration was.  Wiki said it goes back to the 16th century BCE (before Christ).

Thanks Noel.  I work at a museum and the case where we have a vintage Moon Cake mold is one of my stops in touring. I share the tradition and the story of the two lovers associated with the Moon Cake.  It lets folks see and know how important Women are and were in the past in mall the many and varied cultures that came to America and brought some nice traditions to share with them.  When our China town here in Los Angeles had the festival, parade, and food, there are lines to purchase the moon cakes.  Some day, I want to purchase my own mold and make my own but make mine the of the pastry recipe's on line. 

Honored Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Puzzle Piece

Thanks Noel.  I work at a museum and the case where we have a vintage Moon Cake mold is one of my stops in touring. I share the tradition and the story of the two lovers associated with the Moon Cake.  It lets folks see and know how important Women are and were in the past in mall the many and varied cultures that came to America and brought some nice traditions to share with them.  When our China town here in Los Angeles had the festival, parade, and food, there are lines to purchase the moon cakes.  Some day, I want to purchase my own mold and make my own but make mine the of the pastry recipe's on line. 

@Puzzle Piece

I didn't know you worked at a museum, how wonderful!  I would love that Smiley Happy

SF is famous for our Asian Art Museum, it's magnificent.  18,000 works of art in the museum, going back 6,000 years.

asian art museum

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 We have the Pacific Asia Museum located in Pasadena, Chinese American Museum in El Pueblo de Los Angeles, and there are galleries and areas with  pre-dominate Asian cultures presiding.  China town isn't all Chinese Americans, many live in the San Gabriel Valley and elsewhere. 

Yes, I like working at a museum.  Lots of culture, cultures, artifacts, and art. 

Honored Contributor

@Noel7

Wish I were close enough to attend a celebration of the harvest moon!  If you participate have fun.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Noel7

Wish I were close enough to attend a celebration of the harvest moon!  If you participate have fun.

@Drythe

Hi Drythe Smiley Happy

My daughter has plans to go, I've decided to make Chinese food for dinner, unless something comes up, in which case I'll order in Smiley Happy