Respected Contributor

Re: The Absolute Best Quote I Have Ever Seen Hands Down Bar None!

You're Good Enough, You're Smart Enough, and Doggone It, People Like You.

Stuart Smalley

Respected Contributor

I think too many take this quote literally. The idea is to enjoy whatever you do instead of bring in misery about it. Of course not everyone is going to have a "dream job," but you can always aspire to something more. My grandfather washed dishes in the basement kitchen of the Hotel Edison in NYC in the 1930s. It wasn't his dream job, but he did it, and eventually worked his way into what he wanted to do. (Btw, they didn't give vacations for jobs like that in the 1930s.) And when he was in his dream.job (owning his own business), he didn't often take days off or vacation, because he loved his work. (No he wasn't a miserable workaholic either.) Another quote I like: Do what you love and the money will follow.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

On 1/28/2015 lovescats said:

You're Good Enough, You're Smart Enough, and Doggone It, People Like You.

Stuart Smalley

I cannot eat a fig newton today without laughing and thinking of Stuart and his shame based life Hahahahahahah. Thanks for the laugh! I am going to watch Stuart Saves His Family tomorrow.

Honored Contributor

I don't think one needs to think to hard to get the general drift of the quote. I don't think the quote means a vacation per say. I think the person who wrote the quote just meant to say, Don't build a life you hate. Enjoy what you have, when you have it. If you enjoy what you have, appreciate what you have and don't take your friends and family for granite...you won't want to run away from it all because you are nervous, hateful wretch. Yes, we all get tired, we all get fed up. But if you are a positive person, see the wonder in a good moment, and the potential of a bad moment you won't need to run away from your life.

Which reminds me of another good quote..."everywhere you go, there you are"

which then brings me to one of my favorite quotes. It is my signature quote, from Auntie Mame.

Trusted Contributor

Hubby & I have been retired for almost 10 years and we still take ""vacations!"" :-) I chuckle when I think of vacations when one is retired....but they are still necessary in my opinion.
Esteemed Contributor

It is an ideal to strive for and that makes it appealing.

I had such a horrible day at work and I brought it home with me. I should have left it there, bought myself flowers and baked cookies when I got home. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Honored Contributor

etymology of vacation

late 14c., "freedom from obligations, leisure, release" (from some activity or occupation), from Old French vacacion "vacancy, vacant position" (14c.) and directly from Latin vacationem (nominative vacatio) "leisure, freedom, exemption, a being free from duty, immunity earned by service," noun of state from past participle stem of vacare "be empty, free, or at leisure".

I like the immunity part myself, LOL!

Honored Contributor

Oh, if that could only happen and could only be true!

Maybe for a select few. But I doubt that this applies to many people. Sadly.

There is a lot of truth there though. Some of us do wear ourselves out and run ourselves rugged working so hard to get the perfect home and car and other things. But a lot of times we don't enjoy the job we have to do, to acquire those things, and we spend far too much time at these jobs. Then, we don't get to enjoy the fruits of our labors that much.

I do think it would be a wonderful thing!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Regular Contributor

Sorry, I couldn't disagree more as it sounds too unrealistic and like someone is in la-la-land for the duration writing that.

"You never know when the last time is the
last time."
Honored Contributor

On 1/28/2015 Pook said:
On 1/28/2015 happy housewife said:

Actually my DH's boss had a quote he liked that is kinda opposite of this - "if this was enjoyable they would not have to pay anyone to do it".

Now that's a senseless quote. Everyone has to make a living and if someone can find something they enjoy that's great. It doesn't mean they should do it for nothing just because they like it!!!

I don't find it senseless, because I take it to mean that work is not always fun and games, but it is something responsible people do in order to care for themselves and their family.