Honored Contributor

The 21st Century so far . . .

. . . So far has not been a joy.  We can’t trust the air we breathe, we can’t trust the food we eat nor the water we drink, we have to be alert everytime we go out in public, or to a movie or even our workplaces.  Parents who still have children send their kids to school every day with fear in their hearts.  Everyone lies these days.  We can’t trust what we hear, or read, or even see.

Forget feeling relieved when the doctor doesn’t find anything wrong with you, forget trusting medications, hospital care.  In fact forget everything you always thought about health.  First it’s good, then it’s bad.

We can’t even be sure our kids will have an earth fit to live in after we’re gone.

I won’t go into the rest for obvious reasons.  It’s just all too exhausting.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Re: The 21st Century so far . . .

But the glass is still half-full.

Trusted Contributor

Gee ... thanks for all that.  Downer much.

Respected Contributor

On the flip side, not everyone lies. In fact most don't. This environment is temporary. Normalcy will return- it will take time, but it will return.

Medical strides are huge, technology is off the chain. I think we're going to be ok.

Respected Contributor

@LilacTree 

Lilac Tree, I can't say I disagree with you.  On the other hand, every century in history has been deep in problems.  Keep your loved ones close and take joy in your personal relationships and everyday positive signs.  For me, it's how I keep my sanity.  Sometimes I feel a sense of despair, then I have to try to put the problems of the world in perspective.  Live your life with integrity, do the best you can and love those you are close to.

Honored Contributor

This is macabre...

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

When I was young, I thought by now many of the issues that plagued us in the 50’s and 60’s would be so much better. Sometimes it feels like we have learned nothing.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

There has always been fear.Fear of war,illness,the state of the worlds air,food problems.Will always be.As for lying,it has been around.Drs.the most part do what they can,limited by insurance and laws.There is more healthcare,treatments available also more diagnosis of disease once not known.One can look at the worlds problems and cry or live your best life.Only WE have the option of living our own standards.How can you possibly live with such terrible outlooks on everything.Every generation has its  peeves.

Find some happy it is STILL

here.

Honored Contributor

What LilacTree wrote is not a negative or nihilistic view of present-day life.  Rather, she wrote some sobering truths.  Yes, they may be her truths and not yours, but I see things as she does.  It is sad.  It is deplorable. Speaking for myself, I think of these views as rooted in realism. 

We can only do our best and go forward, trying to change what seems to be off course.  So much is veering away from the good, yes.  But if we do nothing, we are left to wither along with our ideals and the better angels of our nature.