Honored Contributor

Re: The 21st Century so far . . .

I have always been grateful to be born in a time when the possibilities seem endless

I still think they are. People are working on tackling all the problems you mentioned and I think we will succeed. We are still a can do nation and people. We find out new things daily, in science and medicine.

I am not too surprised you feel pessimistic, you have been through so much bad health /times and so has your daughter

I think when things like that befall us, it does color our world view. I am also hopefull you will beneifit from the new program you are undertaking, and will feel a lot better in the near future

I am glad we are friends, even if we don't agree.I value your opinion, even if I don't share it

@LilacTree Heart

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@bonappetit wrote:

indoor kitty: don't try to stop our right of free speech. The moderators do this, remember?  I feel this person is depressed.

You can have an opinion, but it is beyond presumptuous for you to “diagnose “ the OP.

@QVCkitty1 

Thank you.  Anyone  who knows me here knows I am usually upbeat in my posts.  I’ve had many happy times in my life.  But I am a pragmatist as well.  Ignoring negative things will never get them fixed.  We, as adults, should be thinking about our responsibilities to the next generation.  They will surely blame us for what is left for them, and they would be right in doing so.

That’s the grown- up way to approach things, thanks for your post. 🌺

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@bonappetit wrote:

indoor kitty: don't try to stop our right of free speech. The moderators do this, remember?  I feel this person is depressed.

You can have an opinion, but it is beyond presumptuous for you to “diagnose “ the OP.

@QVCkitty1 

Thank you.  Anyone  who knows me here knows I am usually upbeat in my posts.  I’ve had many happy times in my life.  But I am a pragmatist as well.  Ignoring negative things will never get them fixed.  We, as adults, should be thinking about our responsibilities to the next generation.  They will surely blame us for what is left for them, and they would be right in doing so.

Every generation blames the one before.

Even your generation @LilacTree .

Even your generation.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@cherry 

That’’s what I admire about you.  We can disagree and debate, but we never “attack.”

And we agree on most things.  You are a kind person, a true grown-up.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

Well said, Sooner.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@JJsMom 

Your signature shows that.  Like @cherry, we can disagree and still like each other.  I’m so grateful for that.

Formerly Ford1224
Esteemed Contributor

@LilacTree, Maybe not here on this site, but there are many people who agree that we are on the wrong path.  I won’t even begin to list the reasons.  I did not major in History in college, but you might say I have educated myself in national and world history.  I do realize there is much to be happy about, but the people I associate with, everyone in my family as well, feel great concern. 

The only thing I can do on the positive end is pray.  Which is what I do.  Practice care and concern for others.  And try to live an honorable life.  By nature, I am a pragmatic and analytical person.  I think you are, too.  Realize you can’t control many things, so try to create a sense of calm and peace in your life.  I am trying, as well.  

I personally wouldn’t offer much more here.  And who was the poster who spoke of you in an insulting way referencing “pearls”?  I was also offended by that.  I am an elderly woman, sometimes wear pearls, but graduated summa ****** laude from a respected university.  More importantly, everyone here should be respected.

Best regard,

Pam

(and no personal attacks, please, from anyone with different opinions.)

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 

Your post made me think about something I read a few months ago.

We have a 450 trillion chance in one of ever being born.  Life is a true miracle.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

@LilacTree, Maybe not here on this site, but there are many people who agree that we are on the wrong path.  I won’t even begin to list the reasons.  I did not major in History in college, but you might say I have educated myself in national and world history.  I do realize there is much to be happy about, but the people I associate with, everyone in my family as well, feel great concern. 

The only thing I can do on the positive end is pray.  Which is what I do.  Practice care and concern for others.  And try to live an honorable life.  By nature, I am a pragmatic and analytical person.  I think you are, too.  Realize you can’t control many things, so try to create a sense of calm and peace in your life.  I am trying, as well.  

I personally wouldn’t offer much more here.  And who was the poster who spoke of you in an insulting way referencing “pearls”?  I was also offended by that.  I am an elderly woman, sometimes wear pearls, but graduated summa ****** laude from a respected university.  More importantly, everyone here should be respected.

Best regard,

Pam

(and no personal attacks, please, from anyone with different opinions.)

@PamfromCT 

Wow! Good for you for your accomplishments!  Of course I agree with you.  As far as the “clutching pearls” lady, I don’t even consider the source, I just ignore it.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree  for when your spirit needs lifting

Max Ehrmann

Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible without surrender
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons,
they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain and bitter;
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs;
for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals;
and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.
Especially, do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love;
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment
it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be,
and whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful.
Strive to be happy.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata, Copyright 1952.