Super Contributor

Re: The 2 missing 14 yr old boys...

One of the boy's grandfather purchased the boat for him.  It seems as though a boat was probably a bigger deal than if he would have bought him a car.  I would imagine it will be very expensive to conduct a private search and if they can get people to contribute, so be it.  I guess I would do whatever I could if my son was missing.  It's always easy to "armchair quarterback" but I still can't imagine letting my 14 year old go off in a boat without an adult.  Maybe that's common for people who grow up in coastal areas. 

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Don't want to lose sight of the issue at hand...distraught parents searching for their sons, but....

Am I the only one that thinks a GoFundMe account is a little...odd?  

I would think if both parents have the financial means to hand over a $30,000+ boat to a 14yr old, they, both families, would have Bank to fund their own search.   

I understand people can give their money to whomever they want, but it's just odd.  And to take it one step further, it almost raises another 'flag of concern'...that there might be more to the story.  

IknowIknow....I probably watch too much "The First 48", but I do live my life with a police officer (!), so questions like this come up.

Also saw where Joe Namath, a neighbor, was offering $100,000 Search Reward.  

I have to say that I agree with your thoughts.  And, to take it a step further, I'll add that I'm not a fan of this whole "GoFundMe" thing (not just in this case, but in general).   I think it's kind and generous of Joe Namath to offer his help.  

Honored Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Don't want to lose sight of the issue at hand...distraught parents searching for their sons, but....

Am I the only one that thinks a GoFundMe account is a little...odd?  

I would think if both parents have the financial means to hand over a $30,000+ boat to a 14yr old, they, both families, would have Bank to fund their own search.   

I understand people can give their money to whomever they want, but it's just odd.  And to take it one step further, it almost raises another 'flag of concern'...that there might be more to the story.  

IknowIknow....I probably watch too much "The First 48", but I do live my life with a police officer (!), so questions like this come up.

Also saw where Joe Namath, a neighbor, was offering $100,000 Search Reward.  

I have to say that I agree with your thoughts.  And, to take it a step further, I'll add that I'm not a fan of this whole "GoFundMe" thing (not just in this case, but in general).   I think it's kind and generous of Joe Namath to offer his help.  

The report I heard said the $100,000 reward from Joe Namath was for the safe return of the boys.

I remember thinking at the time, "that reward is never going to be collected."

Esteemed Contributor

I saw Namath on TV and he knew the boys.  I am not a fan of GoFundMe but the Coast Guard quoted a very large number for the 24/7 search, so I imagine, the families do not have that daily amount when the search is called off.  I don't think they will find these kids alive but I would love to see a miracle. 

Honored Contributor

I was shocked when a Coast Guard official stated to news reporters (on about day 3 or 4) that he was sure the boys were capable of surviving this because of their learned skills.  SMH.

He, too, was wrong.

Esteemed Contributor

The $$$ is for fuel.

I hope that they find something but until then they're doing what they can to get their boys home.

God bless these families.
Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I was shocked when a Coast Guard official stated to news reporters (on about day 3 or 4) that he was sure the boys were capable of surviving this because of their learned skills.  SMH.

He, too, was wrong.

Must be a 'friend' of the family.  Imo they could have possibly survived a day or two with life jackets and calm water, but I think they drowned shortly after capsizing.....

Esteemed Contributor

I understand the Coast Guard ending their search.  It's a foregone fact that the waters are warm waters with sharks.  Currents didn't help also. 

If the parents and others want to search on their own, privately, it's their call. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Trusted Contributor

I lived in Florida. Yes some do teach their children all water sports, boating etc. I strongly feel no matter how experienced you think a 14 year old is to go alone no way never. Kids have no fear of anything horrible happening to them. They take chances that grown ups would not. I'm sure their parents are going through an emotional time. I hope the search continues.

Esteemed Contributor

My heart breaks for what these parents will go through all the rest of their lives. Losing a child is the kind of grief that tears families apart. When it is an accident, there will be guilt and blame and the endless what ifs. It is so very tragic. All their lives have been changed forever.