Honored Contributor

The 2 missing 14 yr old boys...

I just read on MSN that the coast guard will D/C their search after today but the families had set up a Go fund me acct and have $240,000 so they can continue to search privately.I feel if the CG had any feeling at all that there was a chance these boys were alive they would keep searching. Miracles do happen though.

Respected Contributor

Re: The 2 missing 14 yr old boys...

Such a tragedy.  As a parent, I would do everything in my power to continue the search too.  Even if it meant bankrupting myself.  They have to feel that they've done everything in their power to find their children, even if there's logically no chance of finding them.  They still have to try.  I'm praying for a miracle......

Honored Contributor

As a parent, I would want to find my child's body.

So heartbreaing....

Esteemed Contributor

As a parent/grandparent....I would want the search to go on till we found them alive....hopefully....or their bodies....I would want closure of some kind....

To stop looking...with no evidence one way or other...in my mind I would always think...if only we searched one more hour...one more day...one more week....

I have been saying prayers everyday in hopes they find these boys....alive....

Honored Contributor

Well, they are free to search until they run out of money. I feel certain this would be extremely expensive to do privately.

Super Contributor

How long can someone survive without fresh water?  Even if they are holding onto some type of flotation device, there's that issue.  Without going into specifics, if the boys perished, I think it might be difficult to find them.  It's such a sad story.

Honored Contributor

I bet they got caught in the storm by surprise....they didn't have life jackets on....and they drowned.  I can't imagine how hard it would be to swim in swells and try and grab flotation devices.....it's awful.  I grew up near Lake Michigan and now live near the pacific....the open water is no joke....the most experienced can drown.....this story is just awful awful.

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

@Heart of Spade wrote:

How long can someone survive without fresh water?  Even if they are holding onto some type of flotation device, there's that issue.  Without going into specifics, if the boys perished, I think it might be difficult to find them.  It's such a sad story.

3 to 5 days, tops.........

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Don't want to lose sight of the issue at hand...distraught parents searching for their sons, but....

Am I the only one that thinks a GoFundMe account is a little...odd?  

I would think if both parents have the financial means to hand over a $30,000+ boat to a 14yr old, they, both families, would have Bank to fund their own search.   

I understand people can give their money to whomever they want, but it's just odd.  And to take it one step further, it almost raises another 'flag of concern'...that there might be more to the story.  

IknowIknow....I probably watch too much "The First 48", but I do live my life with a police officer (!), so questions like this come up.

Also saw where Joe Namath, a neighbor, was offering $100,000 Search Reward.  

Super Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Don't want to lose sight of the issue at hand...distraught parents searching for their sons, but....

Am I the only one that thinks a GoFundMe account is a little...odd?  

I would think if both parents have the financial means to hand over a $30,000+ boat to a 14yr old, they, both families, would have Bank to fund their own search.   

I understand people can give their money to whomever they want, but it just leaves a bad taste.    And to take it one step further, it almost raises another 'flag of concern'...that there might be more to the story.  

Also saw where Joe Namath, a neighbor, was offering $100,000 Search Reward.  

The parents need to charter a plane and search fir their kids.