Honored Contributor

Re: The 2 Tamarin Monkeys Missing From The Dallas Zoo Have Been Found!

[ Edited ]

I wonder if they enjoyed their brief period of freedom. Now it's back to confinement.

Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I wonder if they enjoyed their brief period of freedom. Now it's back to confinememt.

@ValuSkr they were found in a closet which I'm sure is much smaller than their enclosure at the zoo. I wouldn't call that a period of freedom.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DJs mom wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

I wonder if they enjoyed their brief period of freedom. Now it's back to confinememt.

@ValuSkr they were found in a closet which I'm sure is much smaller than their enclosure at the zoo. I wouldn't call that a period of freedom.

@DJs mom   No, I suppose not.  I didn't know they'd been locked in a closet!

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

@ValuSkr Tamarin monkeys are native to the Amazon lowlands.  Not sure what this "freedom" looked like out of their specially designed zoo habitat.

Esteemed Contributor

I wonder if there's some kind of black market for stolen monkeys lately. I just read today about a bunch of monkeys being stolen from a Louisiana zoo.  They were not Tamarins, but another small species. Haven't been found so far. It's apparently a small zoo and the handlers are heartbroken. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

@shoesnbags I wathced the Today Show yesterday and they had someone from a different zoo speaking and he said there is a black market for these monkeys.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The monkeys being stolen is the fourth incident in January at the Dallas Zoo. The first one was a clouded leopard disappearing when its enclosure was cut so it could escape. The leopard was found within the zoo after a long search and it was unharmed. Second was the langur exhibit that was cut open, then last week they found  an endangered vulture dead within its enclosure from a "wound". The enclosure was not open or damaged. Most recent are the monkeys that were fortunately found yesterday, apparently unharmed but probably really cold since there was no heat and we are in the middle of an ice storm. 
I can't believe they haven't caught whoever is doing these things! They have added more cameras, more security guards overnight, etc. I think it's an inside job. 

Respected Contributor

All the zoo animals have been accounted for now. One vulture was killed by someone but the others were let out of their cages,,,.but thankfully accounted for now. They have a suspect they are looking for. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, it does sound like an inside job.  Presumably, the zoo does a good job keeping outsiders out.  And insiders would know how to evade security cameras.

Respected Contributor

@Linmo  So glad that they are back at home after their absence!