Respected Contributor

Re: That's what you get for raiding the office fridge!

[ Edited ]

@missy1 wrote:

@bri20 wrote:

I don't think she put the breast milk in the cream container so people could use it.   

I think  she found out people were using the "cream" and then put the note on the container.  

So you think the note was  a joke, and the creamer was really in it?

The story goes.....
Some people feel like they can take whatever they want,

even if it doesn’t belong to them.

The office fridge is not a buffet. This should be common knowledge, but people continue to treat the workplace fridge  like a free for all.

Fed up, one woman may have found a solution to

ensure her co-workers stopped filching her food.

Unsure if it’s *actually* breast milk  in the bottle

or if this woman just thought of the most brilliant

way to make sure no one steals her creamer again.

Respected Contributor

breast milk.........isn't the same consistency or color as creamer...............I think it was just a verbal pay back and not the real thing in the bottle...................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Trusted Contributor

@Ms X wrote:

@Mrsq2022 wrote:

@Ms X wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Ms X wrote:

I wonder whether she could get prosecuted for that.  I think it might be assault or something.  It's not unusual to read news stories about people who tamper with others' food and get arrested.  Would putting that into a container that indicated it was something else qualify?  She should at the very least be fired. 

@Ms X

Seriously?    Fired or prosecuted because someone else is stealing her food?   

How do people even come up with this stuff?

If anyone goes into a company refrigerator and STEALS someone else's, they should be prosecuted for THEFT  ....  or fired for theft.   

Any situation I've seen that had a kitchen refrigerator, the rules were very clear:   If you didn't bring it in, DO NOT touch it.   This "community" thing is a load of kwap.   

______

Well, @Tinkrbl44, you need to read my posts again.  I didn't say she should be fired because someone was stealing her food, did I?  Putting breast milk in the company refrigerator for others to drink is certainly a firing offense, in my book. 

Further, as I said, many times I've read of people being arrested for spitting on food or otherwise tampering with it before serving it.  In fact, I saw one or two such news items involving police officers in fast-food joints just in the past week.

Completely unrelated, other than the fact the two involve food.  No similarities,  the woman was not serving anyone her breast milk, nor was she serving anyone her coffee creamer.

According to the sign in the OP, she'd put breast milk in a cream container, let others use it, and then put the sign to those who had used it to inform them they'd been drinking breast milk.  I would fire her.

As for tampering with food, fast-food workers have been arrested for spitting on and putting hot sauce on cops' food in recent weeks.  I'm not sure it's the same, but it seems a very similar offense to me.

No, sorry.  You've completely missed the point of the story. 

Honored Contributor

When I was in jr. High school, our lockers would be broken into, and our lunches stolen. It happened to me several times..... So, I made a  a canned  dog food sandwich with all the fixings. And made brownies with chocolate exlax in them...it looked really good. that bagged lunch was stolen as usual... I hope the thief got sick.  Do you think that was wrong to do?

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

When I was in jr. High school, our lockers would be broken into, and our lunches stolen. It happened to me several times..... So, I made a  a canned  dog food sandwich with all the fixings. And made brownies with chocolate exlax in them...it looked really good. that bagged lunch was stolen as usual... I hope the thief got sick.  Do you think that was wrong to do?

Yes, I do. 

If they had to go to the hospital, it would only be fitting if you had to pay their bill.

Esteemed Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@bri20 wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@3suwm5 wrote:

Wow, the perils of working anywhere but out of your homeSmiley Very Happy

Even then........

I mean, if their mother stole food from the fridge, would they "teach her a lesson" by tainting the food, and said that she "deserved it" if dear old mom ate the tainted food?

Especially if mom was elderly, and maybe not all with it?

Your scenarios are a little dramatic, aren't they?

No, not really. 

I mean, people seem to think that it's a-okay to taint food, no matter who is taking it, just to "teach them a lesson".

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@bri20 wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@3suwm5 wrote:

Wow, the perils of working anywhere but out of your homeSmiley Very Happy

Even then........

I mean, if their mother stole food from the fridge, would they "teach her a lesson" by tainting the food, and said that she "deserved it" if dear old mom ate the tainted food?

Especially if mom was elderly, and maybe not all with it?

Your scenarios are a little dramatic, aren't they?

No, not really. 

I mean, people seem to think that it's a-okay to taint food, no matter who is taking it, just to "teach them a lesson".

But this isn't about anybody tainting food.  I don't know why you keep bringing up tainted food.  That's a completely different scenario.

It's about using something that isn't yours. 

No, it's about her "getting even" in a childish, immature way.

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Yes, I do. 

If they had to go to the hospital, it would only be fitting if you had to pay their bill.

Well at age 12 I did not think that deeply I guess.....but, my lunches were never stolen again after that! Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Mrsq2022 wrote:

@bri20 wrote:

@Plaid, the food in my home is different than the food in an office lunch room.

You are changing the scenario dramatically. 

Is is an argument that will never be won.  Obviously plaid pants feels like s/he should be able to safely steal from others without being injured in the process.  I will respectfully disagree with him/her and leave it at that.  A thief is a thief and I have no idea why PlaidPants feels a thief has any "rights" in this or any other scenario.  

To me it is laughable that a thief would feel they have a "right" to safe, and consumable food products wheel ether steal.  Maybe PlaidPants also expects that the food she steals should be tasty and well seasoned?

For all we know the woman merely reused a container for her breast milk and did not do it to "trick" anyone.  

If you bothered to read and actually comprehend, you will know that I said on page one or two, that I do NOT eat others food, so your ass-umption about that is 100% wrong.

At my job, we do have a community refrigerator.

It is understood that if you didn't bring it, you don't eat it.

Period.

The ONLY exceptions to that is:

A) It has been marked as "Community"

B) You have the person's permission to have their food.

No where did I say that it is okay to steal another person's food.

But it is also NOT okay to retaliate.

TWO WRONGS DOES NOT = A RIGHT!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Yes, I do. 

I have to agree.  Clearly, those who stole this woman's food were wrong.  However, there are laws against poisoning or sickening others by tampering with their food or laying a trap.  If she did put breast milk in there for revenge, she should be fired.  If she just claimed to have done so, it's not as cut and dried.  Would they do a chemical analysis to determine what she did?  Was she lactating at the time?  Might she have used the breast milk of another?   If she just put the sign up for revenge, perhaps a warning would suffice.  Frankly, I would have either brought an insulated container, a locked container, or food/coffee creamer that needed no refrigeration if I'd been in that situation.  As it is, HR should have looked into what she was doing and acted accordingly to warn or fire her.

Respected Contributor

Even if this story is true (which I doubt for several reasons)...

The "creamer/note writer" was the owner of the food, so she is not tampering with someone else's food.

The other person is a thief, if we are going to assign criminal behaviors to someone in this story.

Besides, putting breast milk into a container is not tampering, legally.