Honored Contributor

Re: That's It I'm done. No more debit card!

@KathyPet wrote:

I have never paid bills by going to,the creditor's website and initiating payment there rather than initiating payment through my bank's bill pay option.  WHy?  BEcause when you pay on line through the receipent's web site you are entering your bank information into their computer system. NOw that creditor has your bank routing number and account number in their computer data base.  IF their  data bases are hacked as so many have been what is to prevent the hackers from getting into your bank account.   THe fewer places you can get away with giving that sort of information to the better off you are.  I don't trust any entity to keep my information safe so the fewer places it resides in the better.

@KathyPet

I have always used my bank's billpay system for all of my bills, including rent, utilities, car, medical co-pays, etc., and have never had a problem.  I do use the billpay system for three credit cards because they also show my FICO scores.  So far, I've only had one problem when a vendor was very slow in giving me a refund.  That card company reimbursed me very quickly while they did an investigation.  They informed me several weeks later that they had settled it with the vendor.  So I had no complaints.

So far I have been lucky that my bank information has not been compromised on these accounts.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986