Honored Contributor

Re: That Amber Heard should be ashamed of herself...

@Northray wrote:

First let me preface this by saying that I do think there was fighting, and screaming and throwing of stuff.  Depp being a man, he may have grabbed her more violently then he intended or pushed her away more violently then he intended.  And we must remember that when you are fueled by drugs and alcohol (in Depp's case) you will be more re-active and non-caring. 

Okay, so having put that out there.  At what point does a women of 2016 say, "screw you - I'm out of here?"  I mean to say this is not 1965 or 85.  Women know all there is to know in modern psychology about the in's and out's of partner violence.  There is just no excuse to stay in a violent relationship anymore - at least not in the United States.  Current women  chose to stay because their current needs over weigh everything else.  At some point if women want to be taken seriously and equally along side men then we must also be responsible for our behaviour and our CHOICES.  And that means getting no passes when we chose to stay in bad relationships. 

@Northray

That sounds like 1950.

No, women are not responsible for being victims of abuse.  We don't know if Amber is or is not an abuse victim.

Speaking of psychology, you might want to read up on the psych of abuse victims, MEN & women.  Many stay as a result of continued emotional abuse.

You do know there are also male abuse victims, I would hope.  Funny, you only addressed your criticisms toward women.

Trusted Contributor

@Northray wrote:

First let me preface this by saying that I do think there was fighting, and screaming and throwing of stuff.  Depp being a man, he may have grabbed her more violently then he intended or pushed her away more violently then he intended.  And we must remember that when you are fueled by drugs and alcohol (in Depp's case) you will be more re-active and non-caring. 

Okay, so having put that out there.  At what point does a women of 2016 say, "screw you - I'm out of here?"  I mean to say this is not 1965 or 85.  Women know all there is to know in modern psychology about the in's and out's of partner violence.  There is just no excuse to stay in a violent relationship anymore - at least not in the United States.  Current women  chose to stay because their current needs over weigh everything else.  At some point if women want to be taken seriously and equally along side men then we must also be responsible for our behaviour and our CHOICES.  And that means getting no passes when we chose to stay in bad relationships. 

I AGREE. Staying in an abusive relationship is REALLY foolish.

Respected Contributor

I can't imagine what happened between them.

I always found him extremely strange.  I've never heard of her until a few days ago.

Honored Contributor

They are BOTH a piece of work....  

Talent worth millions?  Hardly.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Super Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Northray wrote:

@Northray

That sounds like 1950.

No, women are not responsible for being victims of abuse.  We don't know if Amber is or is not an abuse victim.

Speaking of psychology, you might want to read up on the psych of abuse victims, MEN & women.  Many stay as a result of continued emotional abuse.

You do know there are also male abuse victims, I would hope.  Funny, you only addressed your criticisms toward women.

@Noel7

Well said! You are one of the few posting here with some knowledge about the subject. There is so much more to spousal abuse than most here seem to know. Abusers are extremely skilled at mind manipulation. People who haven't experienced it have no place to judge. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Northray wrote:

I agree with you, and now she claims she was abused for four years. She only married him fifteen months ago! She's also been recorded saying that not only is he an amazing actor, but a truly good person. An opinion, it should be noted, is also shared by women from his past as well as his daughter.

It's interesting to me that a man who has had numerous previous relationships in which there was never any physical abuse whatsoever suddenly becomes Mike Tyson. Would Charlie Sheen's exes come to his defense? I don't think so.

Valued Contributor

They've been together for 6 years.  Maybe he is a tantrum thrower when he gets mad.  He trashed a hotel room in a tantrum when he was with Kate Moss.  Maybe his drinking and druggin got progressively worse and he became more volatile.  Maybe they both stayed because they loved each other and as most humans do, hoped that things would get better. Maybe the phone throwing, which ended up hitting her was the last straw.

You have sacrificed nothing and no one.
Honored Contributor

@Alsee wrote:

How can you be so judgmental over something you know absolutely nothing about.  Many women are abused and are protective of their abusers out of fear, shame, etc.

This is a very serious subject and we know nothing about what really happened between them. 

I'm all for commenting on subjects as we see fit, and you have the right to your opinion - but again, how could you possibly know what happened?

@Alsee

True .....   We don't know exactly what happened ... only what has been reported.    What you have read here is speculation .... no need to scold anyone over speculation on a current story in the press.

Valued Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Northray wrote:

@Northray

That sounds like 1950.

I realize you baby boomers have a lot of fear about the horrible 1950's (being fasctious) but that's over and done with.  Lessons learned.  

That you assume that I haven't being educated on the subjuct is just silly, in light of all the education women get today in every aspect of our lives on how NOT to stay in an abusive relationship.  We are trained how NOT to stay when we are being abused, either by men or women.  Today's woman is all about empowerment.  Amber Heard was in a lesbian relationship before Depp, she knows, as all women of today know what it means to be in a good and bad relationship.

I addressed women because we are addressing Amber Heard's (a woman) decision to stay in an alleged abused relationship.  

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.

-Rumi
Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2

We don't know if there was prior abuse or not.  You can't claim that.  Most women DO NOT come forward, we know that.  We have to wait and see.