Honored Contributor

Re: Thanksgiving unfair to Women

I cooked 90% of my stuff yesterday anyway. I even cooked the sweet potatoes already. The only thing I have to do today is make the mashed potatoes and finish the dressing and reheat the rest. My husband already put the turkey on. So most of the day will be hanging out. He took this week off of work anyway so it was nice to have him home and he got the bbq all set up yesterday so all he had to do was light it today and put the turkey on. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

Let's see, my husband is outside shoveling in 15º in 16 MPH wind.  I'm happy to cook and clean up.  He also works 10-12 hours a day.  

I love cooking, I don't have to make a big dinner but I choose to.  I'm smoking a 14lb turkey and deep frying the same.  All the trimmings plus some.  I could make a meat loaf and he'd be happy.  

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

@TaxyLady wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

We are joining my brother and sister-in-law's family for dinner at their home.  He deep-fries a turkey in the driveway.  One brother-in-law makes his signature salad, while another is a pastry chef who always provides a sinfully rich and delicious dessert.  The wives prepare dressing, potatoes, and gravy.  I'm taking a plate of fudge. The kids are in charge of clean-up and loading the dishwasher.  It is a very tasty group effort.    Wishing everyone a nice day.

I would love a piece of homemade fudge.  Where do you live?  lol

I am in Wisconsin, but I would suggest "Phenomenal Fudge" if you wish to mail-order a tasty treat.  It's the best non-homemade fudge I've tasted.

Respected Contributor

I happen to love cooking for my family.............I love making them their favorite dishes.....I'm happy when I hear "no one can make this like mom"..........and I have a hubs who cooks the bird, we deep fry out turkeys..........after they've gone, is my time to reflect on the day as I clean up after my children and my grandchildren........and be thankful for family.......especially when I remember, alot of kids don't come home for the holiday and I have kids that still do.........................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Honored Contributor

@TaxyLady wrote:

My husband provides the humor.   He just asked what time are we eating.  I said "I don't know exactly"  (we usually have the dinner in the early afternoon)  He said " you should get up earlier."  ha ha ha ha

I come from a family where the men were farmers.  They worked hard everyday.  So I guess I learned to wait on them from my Mom, Grandmother and Aunts.  If I had a choice I would probably like to be in the 1950's.  It was a better world then. 

What you described in your OP is 1950, so there you go. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@debic wrote:

Let's see, my husband is outside shoveling in 15º in 16 MPH wind.  I'm happy to cook and clean up.  He also works 10-12 hours a day.  

I love cooking, I don't have to make a big dinner but I choose to.  I'm smoking a 14lb turkey and deep frying the same.  All the trimmings plus some.  I could make a meat loaf and he'd be happy.  

@debic I hope you and your husband have the best Thanksgiving ever.  What a lovely post, really made my day! . . . Heart

Esteemed Contributor

I will respectfully disagree. It was not a better world for all.

Valued Contributor

I just told my husband what I had posted.  He said I was wrong.  Many men do not relax, talk and watch football.  He said many can get a few rounds of golf in before the big meal. 

He said he sees nothing wrong with the wife doing all the work and we should not mess with tradition.  lol 

Respected Contributor

DH is in the kichen while I'm watching the parade. He's preparing the entire meal and we all help cleaning up. No major football fans coming so we'll have music playing or old movies on in background while we relax and socialize. It 2015,nobodies stuck in the kitchen unless they want to be.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

I come from a family where the men and the children were always waited on. All the women work together on a holiday to make a wonderful meal for everyone and of course the women clean everything up afterward. I wonder if that's why the men don't stray and we are married for life! I guess they literally know what side their bread is buttered on.LOL