Honored Contributor

Re: Thanksgiving pie-how to be honest with a guest

The OP does care, and it's to her credit. That her sister may or may not care is beside the point. 

Honored Contributor

If she hasn't noticed yet that no one is eating then I don't know what to say. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Valued Contributor

Tell her people prefer the other pie and to just bring enough for herself so she can enjoy the rest. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

Some posters are disregarding the OP's desire to maintain a pleasant relationship with her sister. She needs to avoid hurting her sister's feelings or causing anger/hard feelings. Making a pumpkin pie would be risky. Insisting she take her pie home would be horrible manners. A gracious host would eat a small portion of her sister's pie. 

If someone gets mad because you made a pumpkin pie, there is no hope.  WIth that kind of controlling individuals you'll never have a chance to do anything but cater to them and even then they won't be happy.  

Been there and done that and finally smartened up.  Some people you can't please no matter what.  Edited to ad:  I was victimized by people like that for a long time, and it took me a long time to see what was really going on.  It really makes me mad when people try to bully and control others by the threat of them being "hurt" or "angry" by something as trivial as a pie. So maybe my take on it isn't the norm. 

Honored Contributor

It's a pie, not a competition for a Nobel Prize.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Is somebody eating the pie?  Does she even eat the pie?

I would notice if nobody are something I brought.  I wouldn't insist on bringing it year after year.

Respected Contributor

"over the past few years"  have people eaten her chiffon pie?   If not, does she notice or say anything?   

I'm just puzzled why someone insists on bring a food item that no one eats year after year. 

In any event, I"d let her bring it and give what's left for her to take home.  

Meanwhile, I'l provide  the pecan and choc pie people like.

Honored Contributor

Is it possible that this thing she brings is what we call Weight Watchers Pumpkin Fluff?  I'm just wondering if she started making this because it's diet friendly.

It's very popular in WW circles.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

To not stir the pot, have other non pumpkin pies.  No point in bringing the topic up again.  If there's pumpkin pie left, toss it after all the guests have gone home.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Petepetey,  If you're doing the other parts of dinner, I would accept the chiffon without comment, but provide a good pumpkin pie also.

Store pie might do just to make your point. Where I live, Publix does make a pretty good pumpkin pie, not as good as mine but acceptable in a pinch, esp. with ice cream.  Or do the pecan pie at home or by purchase.