Super Contributor

Thanksgiving pie-how to be honest with a guest

For years and years my sister has brought one of the pies we have with our Thanksgiving meal. 

It used to be pecan or chocolate.

The last few years she started bringing a pumpkin chiffon pie, which none of us care for. We like traditional baked pumpkin pie.

This year I asked if she would bring a pecan or apple pie. She said no, she wants to bring chiffon pie.

So my option, tell her the truth? Or let her bring the chiffon and I just go ahead and bake the tradition  pumpkin too? 

I could make apple and pecan along with the pumpkin so it looks like we are having all the pies you could want for a holiday. Can you have too many pies?

Honored Contributor

Re: Thanksgiving pie-how to be honest with a guest

I'd let her bring it. If no one eats any, she will get the message

Honored Contributor

You could do one of two things.  Since shes your sister just tell her you and others dont care much of the chiffon style pie.  Or just make your own and not say a word and when she has a lot of pie left she may ask why, then you could tell her.  No IMO you cant have to many pies.

If it were me I would want to know that people did not like whatever it was I wanted to bring.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Let her bring the pie.  

I would make or buy the pies that everyone likes though.

I don't understand why you have to lie to her.  Doesn't she notice that no one eats the pie that she brings?

Honored Contributor

@petepetey,

Let her bring the pie, but, make sure you have other pies, desserts too!

http://itsnotaboutme.tv/news/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/THanksgiving.jpg

Super Contributor

I don't like to be too pushy with people, especially my sister. That does that to me

and I hate it. She is the boss or thinks she is. 

In past years I knew she was bringing that pie and I would not make my traditional one. Not this year I'm making it!  

I never want to hurt anyones feelings. 

Honored Contributor

@petepetey  you are doing the right thing

Respected Contributor

I would just tell her no one cares for that kind of pie. You are not lying and that is not being in anyway hurtful. It is a pie. It is stating a fact, What is the point of bringing one that no one wil eat? To me that is not contributing anything to the meal. 

If you don’t feel comfortable saying something, then don’t. Just make two of your pies or make your usual pie and have something else that requires no extra work on your part like ice cream or cookies,

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

I do not know the "right" answer. BUT here is what I would do. Say nothing. Make the pies that your guests and you will eat. 

She brings her pumpkin chiffon pie. And when she is leaving send the uneaten pumpkin chiffon pie home with her.

I always send leftover turkey or other items home with my guests. And sending the pie home with her would be a great way to get rid of it. Maybe her eating the entire pie herself will make her tire of it.

Respected Contributor

Hasn't she noticed that no one is eating her pie?

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York