Honored Contributor

Re: Thanksgiving dinner 2020

How long have we been in this pandemic? Going on eight months? And some are still preaching the do what you need to and forget about what other people might do.

How many times do they need reminding that no person is an island. That's true in general and crucial right now.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I think the way to handle this is very matter-of-factly. Don't explain, and above all, do not apologize. (Apologize for putting your safety above entertaining relatives? Really?)

Simply say that you look forward to seeing them at 4:30 ET (or whatever time works for you) on Zoom on Thanksgiving, and you will be emailing them with the dial-in and code closer to the day. If you have a much-loved dish that you always serve, you could include a recipe for it so they could all replicate it for their tables. That would help communicate your decision as final.

If you're not firm and declarative, they may see this as negotiable and try to pressure you to make dinner for them again.

The political squabbles that often occur around the Thanksgiving table are themselves liable to be lethal this year. Being spared that is worth a whole lot of thanks.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Two people, no big deal for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Family is long gone so it is what it is!  

@Sooner I'd love to have you here, Beautiful if you can tolerate southern cooking, lol!!!Smiley Happy

@ECBG I just picked up 2 batches of collards, Camellia pinto beans, kidney beans, large limas and black eyed peas.  I have 4 bags of iced tea bags  and two big bags of loose tea in my pantry.  

IF I weren't trying to be healthier, I'd have smoked ham hocks.  But in about 3 weeks will have a big ham. 

What's your guess?????  Woman Very Happy

I sure wish I COULD be there! 

Super Contributor

GURL...  Love me some collards ! ! !

@Sooner wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Two people, no big deal for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Family is long gone so it is what it is!  

@Sooner I'd love to have you here, Beautiful if you can tolerate southern cooking, lol!!!Smiley Happy

@ECBG I just picked up 2 batches of collards, Camellia pinto beans, kidney beans, large limas and black eyed peas.  I have 4 bags of iced tea bags  and two big bags of loose tea in my pantry.  

IF I weren't trying to be healthier, I'd have smoked ham hocks.  But in about 3 weeks will have a big ham. 

What's your guess?????  Woman Very Happy

I sure wish I COULD be there! 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

If I were your husband, I would not go near any of those people, especially the physician..  If he has asthma, I doubt he would survive this virus.  Hate to say this, but I feel the same way about myself, being an ex-smoker.  I was a heavy smoker for about 50 years. 

Honored Contributor

@bigtraps Aren't collards THE best?  I honestly love them.  I love them even if I just cook them in chicken broth!  

I grew up eating turnips and turnip greens and they are awful!  Then I discovered collards!  Woman Very Happy

Maybe that will be Thanksgiving meal this year!  Big pots of pinto beans and collards with real ham hocks!  Cornbread, butter, chow chow, iced tea and a big plate!  LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanksgiving is usually just a small gathering at my sister's home.... We usually go out to eat and then come back to her house for dessert and watch the NFL football game...maybe play a fun games later on.....

We already talked about this---we are definitely NOT going out to eat this year---- she will cook a simple meal, a turkey breast, there will be a salad, stuffing, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes and a pumpkin pie....Guest list will be my sis, me, my brother & his GF, and 2 other friends.... Keeping things simple!  🦃🍁🍗 🥧 🏈

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

No change at all.  It will just be me and my mother, like always.

Trusted Contributor

Florida is experiencing an uptick in Covid cases, and tourists and snowbirds will make things worse. We will be skipping Thanksgiving dinner with our daughter, her husband and our young granddaughter. Daughter is in medical field, son-in-law works with large numbers of people every day, and granddaughter is in school where scattered positive tests are increasing. DH and I are in late 70's so our risk is high. May have to skip Christmas get-together too. Our last meal in a restaurant was Feb. 28! We're hoping to fly north to visit family about a year from now, but nothing can be certain at this point. 

Super Contributor

Yes, but I started using a smoked turkey leg instead of the ham hocks.  Gives an excellent smokey flavor.

@Sooner wrote:

@bigtraps Aren't collards THE best?  I honestly love them.  I love them even if I just cook them in chicken broth!  

I grew up eating turnips and turnip greens and they are awful!  Then I discovered collards!  Woman Very Happy

Maybe that will be Thanksgiving meal this year!  Big pots of pinto beans and collards with real ham hocks!  Cornbread, butter, chow chow, iced tea and a big plate!  LOL!!!