Honored Contributor

Thanksgiving dinner 2020

[ Edited ]

Have your thanksgiving plans for this year changed at all due to the pandemic? We have had to distance ourselves from several family members who are working back in offices and one who is a dr. and works in a hospital. They are all expecting to get together as usual again for our big Thanksgiving feast. DH is horrified that the dr especially would want to come here after we have done our best to stay safe during all of this. DH has asthma and a few other health issues that make him vulnerable. What will you be doing? How would you handle this? 

Respected Contributor

Re: Thanksgiving dinner 2020

You did not state if you make the Thanksgiving dinner or go elsewhere.

Esteemed Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

Have your thanksgiving plans for this year changed at all due to the pandemic? We have had to distance ourselves from several family members who are working back in offices and one who is a dr. and works in a hospital. They are all expecting to get together as usual again for our big Thanksgiving feast. DH is horrified that the dr especially would want to come here after we have done our best to stay safe during all of this. DH has asthma and a few other health issues that make him vulnerable. What will you be doing? How would you handle this? 

If you and your husband do not feel comfortable at a big get together, then don't go.  Keep yourself safe.  If others are comfortable want to get together that is their choice. Don't be selfish and expect everyone to live their life by your rules.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

The family is meeting up at one of the nieces homes. I guess there will be 6 or 8 people not counting the two of us.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you're uncomfortable, simply let the rest of the family know that you won't be participating this year and leave it at that. Be firm so they don't sway you from your position. And tell them NOW, so they have plenty of time to make other arrangements if needed. 

My plans won't be affected at all by the pandemic. I'll be at the beach. I don't like the traditional Thanksgiving foods. I turn down all invitations, go to the fish market a day or so ahead of time, load up on shrimp, scallops, crab, stone crab...whatever is fresh. I spend the day on the beach, and when I get hungry, I prepare my meal. It's worked fabulously for the last 15 years. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

We are still up in the air & undecided.  I don't make Thanksgiving dinner.  My sister in law does.  Both her and her husband have not been out a lot.  Their younger son has come home from living in NYC and is still there working from home.

It really depends on how everyone feels as we get closer to the end of Nov.

If you don't feel safe just let them know and maybe you can do a zoom call with everyone that day.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I make the turkey and dressing...others bring the rest...and our children and grands have been with us throughout the lockdown period, so we are fine. It’s the other family members who are of concern. They live about two hours away. Also three grands who are at college now. 

Esteemed Contributor

We usually have 50-60 friends and family. This year will be different. Only nieces and nephews  sisters and brothers which should be about 12.

Honored Contributor

I am shocked anyone would think we are being selfish by being concerned. Very disappointed.
Honored Contributor

Am glad to know we will not be the only ones who will be with fewer people.