Trusted Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

What is she dumping, and on whom is she dumping it?!?!?  She is reporting the "requests" (demands) to her boss.  Done.  

From the original post....

"Then my boss can deal with it if he wants to, and I've covered my own rear end"

This is dumping it, passing the buck whatever you want to call it.  Handling the task/situation in a professional manner is required.  Attitude is everything.

@CrazyDaisy It is not dumping it at all.  It means that I have completed the task that was given to me, and the ball is in his court.  Again, you have no idea what my job entails, and the fact that you are so presumptious about it is rude and foolish.

You may not agree however I am standing by my assessment of the situation.

@CrazyDaisy  The problem is that you don't understand "the situation."  You just made a silly judgement and attacked my professionalism.  My job was to send out an email invitation to our out of town guests, collect the names of those who would attend, and send the names to my boss.  If I send those names to my boss, add their dietary requests, then move on to my next task, how is that "dumping" or "passing the buck?"  

Trusted Contributor

@Stormygirl wrote:

Ironic I just received an invitation to a no meat vegetarian Thanksgiving meal.....do not know what is going to be served exactly....just that is no fish, no meat, no butter vegetarian. Very nice of them to invite me. They do have a w/c ramp too. 

Just a question..Should I write to say I am on a medically ordered high protein low carb diet and am allergic to nuts? (I am allergic to nuts) Should I ask that they include "other options" including a meat?  I think I will thank them and go enjoy myself.....will ask while there what dish has nuts or not. I will not bring any meat dish as I know that will offend them. They will not cook any meat in their home due to their strong beliefs. I can always eat when I get home...just will enjoy the experience. I will respect them while in their home as they are work friends and not family. I am not insulted.

@Stormygirl  Just make sure to post your response to the invitation here before you send it.  Someone may want to edit it for you. LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@TenderMercies wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

What is she dumping, and on whom is she dumping it?!?!?  She is reporting the "requests" (demands) to her boss.  Done.  

"Then my boss can deal with it if he wants to, and I've covered my own rear end"

This is dumping it, passing the buck whatever you want to call it.  Handling the task/situation in a professional manner is required.  Attitude is everything.

@CrazyDaisy It is not dumping it at all.  It means that I have completed the task that was given to me, and the ball is in his court.  Again, you have no idea what my job entails, and the fact that you are so presumptious about it is rude and foolish.

@CrazyDaisy  The problem is that you don't understand "the situation."  You just made a silly judgement and attacked my professionalism.  My job was to send out an email invitation to our out of town guests, collect the names of those who would attend, and send the names to my boss.  If I send those names to my boss, add their dietary requests, then move on to my next task, how is that "dumping" or "passing the buck?"  

No need to keep tagging me, I am standing by my words.  You can agree or not, there is no problem.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

No need to keep tagging me, I am standing by my words.  You can agree or not, there is no problem.

@CrazyDaisy I'm tagging you, because I'm addressing you directly.  That's why people do it.  You seem to not understand how a lot of things work.

Honored Contributor

@TenderMercies wrote:

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

I work for an organization that employs a lot of people who come to my city to do their job for short periods of time, then move on to other cities or return home.  I currently have a dozen employees who are in town through the beginning of December.  A long time member of my board of directors has invited these employees to her home for Thanksgiving dinner.  I sent an email out to these employees to let them know about the invitation and to RSVP, so I can do a head count.  At least 3 of these people responded saying things like, "I'm gluten free, so I'll need options" and "I'd like to request either a fish or vegetarian meal."  Is it wrong that I'm angry about this?  I can understand these requests if this were a working dinner on any normal day, but a dinner hosted by a board member on Thanksgiving?  I don't want to be rude to them, but I feel like saying "It's Thanksgiving dinner, folks. You get turkey and the usual fixins.  Accept it as it is, or make other plans."  Can you believe the nerve of some people?    

Does the board member who is extending the invite know you have a problem with the responses you are getting? Maybe she is OK with knowing about the requests.

If you have a serious food allergy like Celiac or you are a vegan or pescatarian then the "usual thanksgiving" choices are not the same as you seem to think they are. 

@AngusandBuddhasMom If you are a pescatarian or vegetarian, then you can eat stuffing, mashed potatoes, salad, vegetables, etc.  If you are gluten free, you can eat turkey, mashed potatoes, salad, vegetables, etc.  I am not asking a board member to make special meals for these people when there will already be plenty of options.

@TenderMercies

They may not be able to eat the stuffing because it's usually made with broth, turkey broth or chicken broth.  Someone could use vegetable broth but I dought they would unless they were vegetarian.

Honored Contributor

Re: Thanksgiving Rant

[ Edited ]

@TenderMercies wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

as a frequent host, i do like to know if any of my guests have special requests or needs regarding food. i would get in touch with the host and let him or her know that a few people have requested gluten free/vegetarian options. it is NOT difficult at all to accomodate these requests and the host may very well prefer to know in advance.

Yes, and if the hostess asks me if there are any special dietary requests or needs, I will absolutely tell her that I have someone who keeps gluten free, a vegetarian, and a pescatarian.  I am not, however, going to call up a board member, and tell her that she has to make a tofurkey and bake a fish on Thaksgiving.  

i think it is wrong to NOT contact the host, especially if you are the go between. i dont think you have to make a tofurkey or even bake a fish, but LOTS of vegetarian options as i suggested would fill the bill for both people. it is not difficult either to order a beautiful smoked salmon platter if the host wanted to.

"LOTS" of vegetarian options?  For the 3 guests who don't eat meat?  There are 12 employees, the boss and his husband, the hostess and her husband, and her 4 kids, and she's supposed to make LOTS of vegetarian dishes for these 3 people?  The meal is at 1PM.  I eat salad 3 times a week for lunch as a choice, and I eat everything.  Why can't they suck it up and deal?  

@TenderMercies

I believe her point is that it's not your decision to make, it's the host's.

The host or hostess just might be upset that she wasn't notified, you are usurping her position, it's not your place.

Valued Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

as a frequent host, i do like to know if any of my guests have special requests or needs regarding food. i would get in touch with the host and let him or her know that a few people have requested gluten free/vegetarian options. it is NOT difficult at all to accomodate these requests and the host may very well prefer to know in advance.

Yes, and if the hostess asks me if there are any special dietary requests or needs, I will absolutely tell her that I have someone who keeps gluten free, a vegetarian, and a pescatarian.  I am not, however, going to call up a board member, and tell her that she has to make a tofurkey and bake a fish on Thaksgiving.  

i think it is wrong to NOT contact the host, especially if you are the go between. i dont think you have to make a tofurkey or even bake a fish, but LOTS of vegetarian options as i suggested would fill the bill for both people. it is not difficult either to order a beautiful smoked salmon platter if the host wanted to.

"LOTS" of vegetarian options?  For the 3 guests who don't eat meat?  There are 12 employees, the boss and his husband, the hostess and her husband, and her 4 kids, and she's supposed to make LOTS of vegetarian dishes for these 3 people?  The meal is at 1PM.  I eat salad 3 times a week for lunch as a choice, and I eat everything.  Why can't they suck it up and deal?  

@TenderMercies

I believe her point is that it's not your decision to make, it's the host's.

The host or hostess just might be upset that she wasn't notified, you are usurping her position, it's not your place.

Be sure to let the host know that they have no allergies, they just don't want to eat the food they were invited over for.

Esteemed Contributor

@Stormygirl wrote:

Ironic I just received an invitation to a no meat vegetarian Thanksgiving meal.....do not know what is going to be served exactly....just that is no fish, no meat, no butter vegetarian. Very nice of them to invite me. They do have a w/c ramp too. 

Just a question..Should I write to say I am on a medically ordered high protein low carb diet and am allergic to nuts? (I am allergic to nuts) Should I ask that they include "other options" including a meat?  I think I will thank them and go enjoy myself.....will ask while there what dish has nuts or not. I will not bring any meat dish as I know that will offend them. They will not cook any meat in their home due to their strong beliefs. I can always eat when I get home...just will enjoy the experience. I will respect them while in their home as they are work friends and not family. I am not insulted.

Well someone with some some good sense and good manners.  I would love to have you at my home for dinner.

Trusted Contributor

UPDATE:

I thought I'd give an update.  I spoke with a coworker today who mentioned that she had a conversation yesterday with the board member who is hosting this Thanksgiving dinner. My coworker said that the hostess inquired if there were any food allergies or restrictions among the invited guests, and my coworker passed along that there were 2 vegetarians and a gluten free guest.  She did not pass along the rude way in which these guests made specific requests.  So, that worked out as I suspected.

HOWEVER, as I was finalizing the guest list this morning to send to my boss, the guest who said, "I'd like to request a fish or vegetarian meal" emailed me to inquire if the hostess had pets, because he is allergic to cats.  I replied and told him that I would find out.  I asked if having cats would change his RSVP, or if he could take some kind of medecine to cope if there are cats.  His response was this:

"I can take a Benadryl, but I don't like taking medication if I don't have to.  I will avoid sitting on furniture, except at the dining room table, and that will help.  It would also help if you could tell her to keep the cats in a separate room while we're all there."

I'm starting to feel like I'm in a hidden camera tv show.  

Honored Contributor

@TenderMercies wrote:

UPDATE:

I thought I'd give an update.  I spoke with a coworker today who mentioned that she had a conversation yesterday with the board member who is hosting this Thanksgiving dinner. My coworker said that the hostess inquired if there were any food allergies or restrictions among the invited guests, and my coworker passed along that there were 2 vegetarians and a gluten free guest.  She did not pass along the rude way in which these guests made specific requests.  So, that worked out as I suspected.

HOWEVER, as I was finalizing the guest list this morning to send to my boss, the guest who said, "I'd like to request a fish or vegetarian meal" emailed me to inquire if the hostess had pets, because he is allergic to cats.  I replied and told him that I would find out.  I asked if having cats would change his RSVP, or if he could take some kind of medecine to cope if there are cats.  His response was this:

"I can take a Benadryl, but I don't like taking medication if I don't have to.  I will avoid sitting on furniture, except at the dining room table, and that will help.  It would also help if you could tell her to keep the cats in a separate room while we're all there."

I'm starting to feel like I'm in a hidden camera tv show.  

😃