@TenderMercies wrote:

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

I have a severe food allergy (peanuts); I never ask people to 'make concessions' or change any menus.  I just end up not eating much because I don't know what might be in something or how it was prepared.  Once in a while, a host will ask beforehand if there are any dietary restrictions, then I'll speak up.  Otherwise I just go and do the best I can with what is there - then eat afterwards.  Not a big deal.  But don't get so offended that a few people brought it up.

None of these people have allergies, or I would have mentioned that to the hostess.  When these employees sign their contracts, they also fill out an Emergency Medical Form which has them list any kind of illness, medication, emergency contact, and allergies.  In many ways, I probably know more about their medical issues than their family members.

You realize to be GF is Celiac?

No, it's not, actually.  I know plenty of people who don't eat gluten as a dietary choice who don't have celiac.  My ex was a vegetarian who had been gluten free for a year before we started dating, and he started eating gluten again when we dated.  Some people think that gluten effects brain function and is generally unhealthy for the body.  

Yes it is if you have celiac,my DD has celiac. For some it is not a fad or a trend. Those who do it as a choice are lucky they can  switch on or off their eating habits.  But people like my dd who has no choice but to be GF for her health do not take it lightly.  

I think you missed the point which is that not everyone who chooses to abstain from gluten does not necessarily have celiac.  As I said, my ex chose not to eat it for other reasons.  He did not have celiac, and this employee who requested a gluten free meal told me last week that she doesn't have celiac.  I saw her eat pizza.  She said the she likes to indulge every once and a while.

I didn't miss the point. Post 60 is the first time you have included that the person who is GF does not have celiac so if you had clarified or made mention earlier I would not have pushed the point. I realize people don't always have celiac. 

Noooo, read again.  I clearly stated that my ex didn't eat gluten as a choice and did not have celiac, and you responded saying that keeping gluten free meant you have celiac.

Nooo it was not until way down this thread you mentioned your bf. Apples and Oranges. Again I know not everyone who is GF is because of celiac. You made light of it but left out the reason being the person who made the request was not observing because of Celiac. She may or may not have an intolerance but apparently isn't celiac.  Done with this. I get your point. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Thanksgiving Rant

[ Edited ]

Trusted Contributor

Can I believe the nerve of some peoapl--yes.  Do I think it is right--no.  When you are invited to dinner, you usually do not knwo what is being served.  If you think you may not be able to eat what is served, decline the invitation.  Or, go and eat only what you can.   

Respected Contributor

For the love of all things gluten. Last time I get it.

My daughter has celiac I get it. She is an adult now so I don't have to bake or shop for her and spend the extra time reading a gazillion ingredients on packages in the store trying to see what is ok and not. I could write a cook book of a ton of recipes that I learned to make sure she was not feeling left out.  Please stop explaining to me about GF, CELIAC. She was diagnosed in high school. she had the endoscope done and it came back 100% positive so I know what it is. And back then it was not even a thing. Like it is now.  Thank you. 

Good grief sorry I posted here.

Honored Contributor

My daughter has celiac I get it. She is an adult now so I don't have to bake or shop for her and spend the extra time reading a gazillion ingredients on packages in the store trying to see what is ok and not. I could write a cook book of a ton of recipes that I learned to make sure she was not feeling left out.  Please stop explaining to me about GF, CELIAC. She was diagnosed in high school. she had the endoscope done and it came back 100% positive so I know what it is. And back then it was not even a thing. Like it is now.  Thank you. 

Well good grief you should know that just because someone is gluten free doesn't mean they have celiac disease yet that is exactly what you typed.  Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

That was your daughter,of course you would treat her special,but if she was invited to a persons home to eat ,i don't think they should do the same.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Well good grief you should know that just because someone is gluten free doesn't mean they have celiac disease yet that is exactly what you typed.  Woman LOL

Yep got it thanksWoman Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

We are always invited to friends homes for dinner, BBQ’s, & holiday gatherings. I never know when my IBS is going to kick in which would greatly limit what I can eat.I’ve never asked or expected anyone to have special food available for me to eat.

I would always find something to eat among the offerings.On a few occasions I’ve brought something on my own.I would never expect anyone to accommodate me.I appreciate the invitation & go out of the way to be a good guest.Having company is stressful enough!!

Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

That was your daughter,of course you would treat her special,but if she was invited to a persons home to eat ,i don't think they should do the same.

Nor would she although anytime I have invited over people who I don't know because of my DD situation I ask if they have any dietary issues. But that's just me. I wouldn't invite someone over and make them feel like they have put me out. If I am hosting then I extend that welcoming to my guest. They should feel welcome and know that. Really not hard as others have mentioned. Who invites people over and them becomes belligerent and offish to their guest because they eat differently. Why invite someone if you don't intend to make them feel welcome? 

From reading the posts I don't think its the person who is hosting I think the OP feels put out having to deal with this. I certainly would let the person hosting know so that there were no issues. 

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal Your post reminded me of the saying we all grew up with from our Mom's "if you cannot say anything nice then say nothing at all"  Heart

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."