Honored Contributor

Re: Thanksgiving Question For Our Younger Generation Posters

@Noel7 wrote:

“Helping” is one thing, especially if they have to be asked. I was wondering if any males in the younger generation take responsibility for cooking or making various dishes... on their own.  

I know so many men who cook nowadays, especially for the holidays.

I have one relative by marriage who is a professonal chef/restauranteur. His food is da bomb. My stepfather often cooked - both because he enjoyed it and because in some ways he was a better cook than my mom.

As far as men cooking, they’re also sharing a kitchen. Many women (pretty much ALL the women in my family) either flat out say, or give off crabby vibes, that it’s their kitchen and there’s only room for one cook in their kitchen - them. And everyone else needs to stay out. People do tend to react to that with giving up any offers of help, over time. So it’s entirely possible that some women who bemoan the fact that they do all the cooking and don’t get any help brought it on themselves. 

Both of my nearby nephews (17 and soon to be 11) cook and know their way around kitchens, but neither especially loves it.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde

No doubt some do.  It's up to today’s parents to change that.  Aspire to be an Italian mother like Lidia Bastianich, imo, teach your children well.  All of them.

Honored Contributor

I don’t know what counts as a younger generation but I’m in my 40s and my husband does the turkey and I make the sides.  We both clean up. It usually takes two dishwasher runs to get through everything!  

Honored Contributor

@Bonanzajellybean wrote:

I don’t know what counts as a younger generation but I’m in my 40s and my husband does the turkey and I make the sides.  We both clean up. It usually takes two dishwasher runs to get through everything!  

@GenXmuse

That puts you in the younger generation, imo Smiley Happy That’s nice to hear.  

So many women are choosing not to marry, I really wonder what marriage will be like in another twenty years or so.  With so many women working full time, I suspect there will be more sharing chores.

In SF, young couples eat out often, and grocery stores now have many, many already-made fresh food choices.

Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@libbyannE wrote:

We married in mid 1970s and have never subscribed to the sexist division of labor that you describe. Our friends are the same. I think we were pretty typical. What you describe just doesn't resonate with our life experience at all. 

@libbyannE

I made a point of saying it was not our generation, I was describing the one before us, or at least my experience with the generation BEFORE us.

@Noel7

Gotcha! I understand. Tx for reminding me that I need to read more carefully! 

Esteemed Contributor

My son-in-law laods the dishwasher and cleans up the kitchen while my daughter serves coffee and dessert anytime they have a meal with family.

My brother (in his 50's) does it also, but he lived alone until 15 years ago.

I would rather clean up my own kitchen....when hubby 'helped'....I could never find things afterward.....LOL

Respected Contributor

We go out to eat!

Keeps everybody happy!  Smiley Happy

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Trusted Contributor

All the holidays are at my house, so I do the shopping, cooking and hubby and kids have been doing the cleaning up...huge help to me...he doesn’t typical help clean up but on holidays he has been in the past few yearsSmiley Happy

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Respected Contributor

We all kind of pick something. Usually...

My son and I make the deviled eggs early in the morning

I spice the turkey, my daughter or husband cook it - depending on who's house

I peel the potatoes, my daughter cuts them, and my son cook and mashes them

My husband and I both make the stuffing

My daughter makes the green bean casserole

My daughter microwaves the corn, and warms up the gravy on the stove

And, my grandson pops the dinner rolls in the oven - WOO HOO - he actually can do something other than play video games!

My son is in charge of serving pie - which he gets from a local bakery- and adds the ice cream or whipped cream.

And, my son in law handles the dishwasher or hand washes anything that won't fit.

WHEWWW......

-Texas Hill Country-
Respected Contributor

My husband always helps with dishes.  Non holidays and holidays.  When it's just us (a family of 3) or at his Mothers or mine.  I did notice that his brother, never helps with dishes or prep.  He comes to the table.  Eats.  Then off to TV he goes.  I got the good one!