Honored Contributor

Re: Thanksgiving Question For Our Younger Generation Posters

@Noel7 wrote:

I’ve always heard that Italian women teach their sons to cook.  My good friend of many years, my daughter’s godfather, did most of the cooking for his family.  His mother taught him to cook when he was a child.  He used to make the six or seven course Christmas Eve dinner for us all. 

@Noel7  I can vouch that the men in my Italian family for the most part are the cooks.  Although myself and one of my grandmothers are the bakers so they always did dinner and we always did dessert.

For Thanksgiving, I have a brother in law who is an exceptional chef so he does the dinner now and I still do dessert.  The rest of the family brings wine and beer and the non-cooks do the clean up.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

I’ve always heard that Italian women teach their sons to cook.  My good friend of many years, my daughter’s godfather, did most of the cooking for his family.  His mother taught him to cook when he was a child.  He used to make the six or seven course Christmas Eve dinner for us all. 

@Noel7  I can vouch that the men in my Italian family for the most part are the cooks.  Although myself and one of my grandmothers are the bakers so they always did dinner and we always did dessert.

For Thanksgiving, I have a brother in law who is an exceptional chef so he does the dinner now and I still do dessert.  The rest of the family brings wine and beer and the non-cooks do the clean up.

Hi @Laura14. Oh, good!  I was wondering if that was still going on, I think it’s a great thing to do.   My husband likes to cook but he doesn’t do anything fancy... spaghetti, burgers, really great omelets, fancy sandwiches. He has always done the turkey, stuffing and gravy for Thanksgiving, I do sides and desserts.  He also does the prime rib for Christmas and has made my birthday cake for decades.  He used to do a birthday brunch, too, including homemade popovers. 

DD has taken over a lot of the cooking for both of us, she enjoys it.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

mostly the women help with the cleanup. some of the men will scrape a nd then take their plates to the sink when finished. it works out fine that way. it becomes a headache when the men start asking where the containers are and where to put the leftovers.

Well, the guys tried, lol @sunshine45

@Noel7

it really was probably a one time try. LOL

it is absolutely fine with me. i prefer to be in the kitchen with my mom and daughters and WE share the responsibilities of prep, cooking, and clean up. as long as i have a martini when i am doing all of that then it works out well. Smiley Wink

i honestly look forward to the hustle and bustle of the upcoming holidays.

Our family is the same way.  The  man will pop in and offer and maybe lift something heavy but we all congregate in the kitchen and do the cooking and the cleaning up and we like it that way.  Some do get a little upset if a few family members decide to walk in, plop down and do nothing to help set up, cook or clean-up.

On my DH's side of the family, his aunt and uncle won't let anyone in the kitchen to help either cooking or cleaning up.  Honestly it drives me nuts because we all sit in the formal living room listening to them argue and bicker while getting the food on the table.  At times it's turned into all out yelling at each other.   

Honored Contributor

@Noel7  My eldest (who is disabled) does make a pie....it's what he can do and we  ( and he) is very proud of it. He contributes that when he is able but cooking is not something safe for him to do, sadly.

My other sons, however, do cook (since they could stand on a chair). THey've enrolled in cooking camps and classes at school. They are responsible for each preparing a meal weekly so as to learn the ins and outs of cooking; I stay close in the event of a question or disaster but usually they do quite well. Holidays, however, freak them out because of all the dishes involved, lol.

I've told them that someday they'll be on their own and cooking, having a clean house and clothes will be all their responsibility. Don't they want to eat and be clean? That nugget of common sense becomes more and more important as they get older. I look forward to the day they handle all the cooking and I get to sit back and just enjoy : )

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

On my DH's side of the family, his aunt and uncle won't let anyone in the kitchen to help either cooking or cleaning up.  Honestly it drives me nuts because we all sit in the formal living room listening to them argue and bicker while getting the food on the table.  At times it's turned into all out yelling at each other.   

@Lipstickdiva

OMG, could we be your husband's aunt and uncle?  We do not allow anyone in the kitchen when we are prepping or cleaning up.  (although we do not bicker)  We do give those watching TV in the family room a lot of munchies and plenty of booze.

How'd you like the USC game????

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@Noel7  My eldest (who is disabled) does make a pie....it's what he can do and we  ( and he) is very proud of it. He contributes that when he is able but cooking is not something safe for him to do, sadly.

My other sons, however, do cook (since they could stand on a chair). THey've enrolled in cooking camps and classes at school. They are responsible for each preparing a meal weekly so as to learn the ins and outs of cooking; I stay close in the event of a question or disaster but usually they do quite well. Holidays, however, freak them out because of all the dishes involved, lol.

I've told them that someday they'll be on their own and cooking, having a clean house and clothes will be all their responsibility. Don't they want to eat and be clean? That nugget of common sense becomes more and more important as they get older. I look forward to the day they handle all the cooking and I get to sit back and just enjoy : )

You’ve done a great job @SahmIam. IMO all young people need to know a lot of basics, male and female.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lulu2 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Lipstickdiva

OMG, could we be your husband's aunt and uncle?  We do not allow anyone in the kitchen when we are prepping or cleaning up.  (although we do not bicker)  We do give those watching TV in the family room a lot of munchies and plenty of booze.

How'd you like the USC game????

@lulu2, while that would be awesome for me, trust me, you and your DH cannot be like these 2.  It makes everyone so uncomfortable sitting there while this goes on, a couple years ago my BIL and SIL swore they were never going back.  LOL  There's no munchies and no booze (which I desperately need).  Just sitting there.  ROFLOL  My family knows what my state of mind will be by the time I get to them in the evening and they have a drink waiting for me when I get there LOL.

That game was pretty awesome.  I was surprised, I do have to say.  I wasn't expecting them to play like that.  During half-time, they were talking about how 40 years ago, ND came out in the green uniforms.  They showed the pep rally and Digger Phelps giving a speech about ND being the big green machine.  My sister, my parents and I were at that pep rally and at the game.  I remember that speech at the pep rally and I have a ton of pictures from the game.  When they were showing that I was yelling "I was there, I was there.  I remember that."  Then my sister called and asked if I was watching and was doing the same thing.  "We were there..."  LOL 

Honored Contributor

@lulu2, as an aside, poor DeShaun Kizer is having a rough go of it here in Cleveland.  Smiley Sad  Now pictures have surfaced of him being out in the wee hours of the morning Saturday into Sunday. 

Esteemed Contributor

Well, let's face it, I am the better cook in our household! And for Thanksgiving, you just want good food!

DH will scrub & dice the potatoes, and I really don't need his help with anything else.

But just once I would like the tables turned and have my DD and I put in our requests for however-they-would-cook-it Thanksgiving meal, including all the clean-up!

Maybe we'll suggest/demand this for Christmas dinner! (Including all the home-baked cookies)!

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@lulu2, while that would be awesome for me, trust me, you and your DH cannot be like these 2.  It makes everyone so uncomfortable sitting there while this goes on, a couple years ago my BIL and SIL swore they were never going back.  LOL  There's no munchies and no booze (which I desperately need).  Just sitting there.  ROFLOL  My family knows what my state of mind will be by the time I get to them in the evening and they have a drink waiting for me when I get there LOL.

That game was pretty awesome.  I was surprised, I do have to say.  I wasn't expecting them to play like that.  During half-time, they were talking about how 40 years ago, ND came out in the green uniforms.  They showed the pep rally and Digger Phelps giving a speech about ND being the big green machine.  My sister, my parents and I were at that pep rally and at the game.  I remember that speech at the pep rally and I have a ton of pictures from the game.  When they were showing that I was yelling "I was there, I was there.  I remember that."  Then my sister called and asked if I was watching and was doing the same thing.  "We were there..."  LOL 

@Lipstickdiva

I remember that '74 game very well.  The green jerseys were the best.  I was screaming at the (19" portable) TV the entire game.  We were living in NC, my husband was in med school at Duke.

Over the years we've gotten to know Digger as he's been at many fundraisers we've attended.  He had his first coaching job at a college a town over from where we lived, so it was an ice breaker. (and he always remembered it)

As for Kizer; egads.  He should have stayed in school but the rumor was he a Kelly despised each other.  I am so against 20 year olds going pro.  They still say the USC q'back (a soph)  could be the top pick next spring.  He certainly didn't look too good Saturday.