Frequent Contributor

Re: Thanksgiving Question For Our Younger Generation Posters

My husband and I were born in early 1980s.

We both cook together every holidays unless we are going out.

That is only time he cooks but he is really good when he does Woman Very Happy

But I'm going to miss it this thanksgiving and Christmas since he is away for his work.

I wish you all have a safe and happy holidays!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Interesting question because it made me sit and think about what I've noticed regarding this either due to having dinner at someones house OR because of bit and pieces of information you get regarding this topic at gatherings.

My in-laws are in their 80's and Dad does all the cooking. Mum does the baking/desserts except for bread which Dad does. Mum sets the table and cleans up. 

Before we had kids, it was 50-50. Having kids and staying home shoved us back into the 50's where he brings home the money and that's it. I do everything else, so....I've been handling shopping, dinner, clean-up, kids etc while he sits and...relaxes.

I know couples in their 20's where whoever doesn't cook, does the cleaning. I know couples where one alwasy's cooks because the other really is BAD at it but does other things that in/around the house that are amazing. Then I know couples where one is home with the children and the other spouse really doesn't do much beyond keeping the kids out of the kitchen so the cooking can go on without issue. 

I've seen men and women in the kitchen helping out and I've seen men and women sit around and do nothing because...why should they?

Funny thing.. ages are all over the place in every example. 

Honored Contributor

All girls when I was growing up and we didn't watch football.  Was it even on back then? LOL

DS always helped cook with me.

Today he still makes the stuffing in his home, and helps clear.  So does GS.

His FIL is the only person who watches football but he does get up for pie.  LOL

His BIL will bring his own dish out but that's it.  His GF doesn't "do" football so he doesn't watch.

DH doesn't watch, either.  He also clears his own plates from the table.

Washing dishes does tend to fall to the "women folk" but it's rinse and into the dishwasher.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

All good marriages are give and take.  The early years should be spent trying to figure out what you can and can't put up with.

Then (and I think this is true of everyone) if someone KNOWS ahead of time what issues you have and they continue to mess with them, then they just don't care.  That's when the person has to decide if it's worth overlooking or you just can't live with it any longer.

Most of the time today people stay married because they want to.  If you don't, move on, that's what I say (my mother was married 6 times....HA!) I was married once for 38 years when he suddenly died.  My brother was married for 50 years when his wife died.

Marriage takes work on both sides....this is my opinion as an observer of people....

Honored Contributor

@Meowshmarrow wrote:

My husband and I were born in early 1980s.

We both cook together every holidays unless we are going out.

That is only time he cooks but he is really good when he does Woman Very Happy

But I'm going to miss it this thanksgiving and Christmas since he is away for his work.

I wish you all have a safe and happy holidays!

Happy Holidays to you, also, @Meowshmarrow

And btw, your cat icon looks so much like one of our kittys Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

All girls when I was growing up and we didn't watch football.  Was it even on back then? LOL

DS always helped cook with me.

Today he still makes the stuffing in his home, and helps clear.  So does GS.

His FIL is the only person who watches football but he does get up for pie.  LOL

His BIL will bring his own dish out but that's it.  His GF doesn't "do" football so he doesn't watch.

DH doesn't watch, either.  He also clears his own plates from the table.

Washing dishes does tend to fall to the "women folk" but it's rinse and into the dishwasher.

@Cakers3

The FIL does get up for pie, LOL!  My father was pretty much like that, too.

I've never been good at making pie. I think I'm going to find a good bakery this year and order one.  Wait, two.  DD and I like pecan, DH likes apple.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

All good marriages are give and take.  The early years should be spent trying to figure out what you can and can't put up with.

Then (and I think this is true of everyone) if someone KNOWS ahead of time what issues you have and they continue to mess with them, then they just don't care.  That's when the person has to decide if it's worth overlooking or you just can't live with it any longer.

Most of the time today people stay married because they want to.  If you don't, move on, that's what I say (my mother was married 6 times....HA!) I was married once for 38 years when he suddenly died.  My brother was married for 50 years when his wife died.

Marriage takes work on both sides....this is my opinion as an observer of people....

@Annabellethecat66

We had it figured out before we got married, DH has never complained, although he does think he ought to make dinner more often.  That's OK with me.

Honored Contributor

My son (30) has always helped out with cooking, which he loves.  He will also clean up,which he might not  exactly love (who does?), but he does his share.

He won't be here for Thanksgiving this year,but my daughter is coming with her boyfriend, who has already offered to make a pie and a side dish.    

Esteemed Contributor

I still do all the cooking and baking and the clean up as well. DH carves Turkey and Ham and puts up all the big pots, roaster and crock pot. DS is my official taster, let’s me know to add more salt, etc.  

Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

My son (30) has always helped out with cooking, which he loves.  He will also clean up,which he might not  exactly love (who does?), but he does his share.

He won't be here for Thanksgiving this year,but my daughter is coming with her boyfriend, who has already offered to make a pie and a side dish.    

That's really nice @september

My daughter used to work at Williams-Sonoma during the holiday and school break.  She got to love cooking and be very good at it.  Lucky me Smiley Happy