Honored Contributor

Re: Thanksgiving Dinner charges?

@Duckncover I would definitely cancel and tell her exactly WHY. This was not part of the original invitation and therefore we will not be paying nor will we be coming. 

This was just RUDE beyond belief. Shame on them.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've never heard of this and it is a bit odd. However, a few thoughts:

~ Wouldn't you normally be spending $ to buy the dinner items? So it's not like you're out the money.

~ She's saving you a lot of time since you no longer have to prep/cook.

~ Maybe having you help pay wasn't the original idea but when she found out how much it would be because of inflation, this was better than disinviting you.

~ Just make sure you can bring home leftovers.

~ Bow out and volunteer to help with the meal at a local shelter instead.

Honored Contributor

If money is to be collected it should be stated out front, then you can make an informed decision. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

If you DO go, don't be surprised if there's a collection can in the bathroom for 25 cents each square of TP used.....and o yes.. a cute little sign ..."you are being watched".....( as you look up and see the little camera blinking and counting!!!!)....

Respected Contributor

Hard to say what I would do in this situation, it would depend on if I truly liked this couple and wanted to do the holiday with them or not.  If I had to pay $50.00, I would make sure half of the leftovers go home with me.  Maybe they are having financial difficulties or have low incomes????

I have never heard of charging guests.  Asking someone to bring a dessert or side dish, but never asking for money.

If I did not want to pay or go, I would tell them your family situation had changed and you can no longer go to their house to eat dinner.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

I think I'd have to find a way to cancel.  I don't think I could enjoy myself under the circumstances.

Honored Contributor

@Duckncover   What do you mean you're stuck??  @Love my grandkids  gave you the perfect solution.  She even wrote the script for you.  Now just do it! 

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@Duckncover I would definitely cancel and tell her exactly WHY. This was not part of the original invitation and therefore we will not be paying nor will we be coming. 

This was just RUDE beyond belief. Shame on them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor

All I know is the service had better be impeccable if they want a good tip...........

Honored Contributor

If any restaurants are open that day you would be paying that or more 

No free lunch today ,kiddo's

Honored Contributor

You know---I'm not sure it is rude or not. If you were cooking a whole dinner and invited another couple over, you would be paying alot more for everything plus your time and effort. Would you ask to be reimbursed for that? $25 a  person sounds pretty reasonable to me for a whole dinner. Maybe it was the way it was presented to your hubby. And maybe she is providing appetizers and drinks? And you are not stuck at all--if this is so appalling, cancel. Not a big thing to me.