Esteemed Contributor

Re: Thanksgiving Dinner charges?

@Janey2 wrote:

There are lots of good(funny) thoughts here. I think this is one of the rudest invitations I ever heard. It does not matter that if you had the dinner in your house it would cost you. I would never ever tell someone to pay for their meal in my house. And no I would not go. If these people give these type of invitations I hate to think what else they think is ok.

@Janey2  don't forget it is a catered meal and this should have been said to @Duckncover  or better still, I would have invited them without asking for payment.

Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Duckncover 

When I invite someone to my home, I can’t imagine asking them to pay.  It is an odd thing to me, likely I would bow out.

BTW - does the $50.00 per couple include wine and coffee?

@Drythe  maybe something just a little stronger as long as there is no driving involved.

Esteemed Contributor

If you can't afford to feed people, you shouldn't invite them.  I have never heard of such poor etiquette. I would have declined to go when they mentioned you have to pay for your meal. I could see bringing dessert or side dishes to compliment the meal but not paying to eat with them. I wonder what is wrong with people.

Respected Contributor

i do not think there is anything wrong with sharing the cost of a restaurant meal but asking to start would have been good. The Thanksgiving dishes restaurants sell here are expensive. I thought about purchasing from a restaurant last year but made a simple meal instead when I saw the prices. $25.00 would not have purchased one dish.

Esteemed Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

we were recently invited to a friend's 80th birthday party....small group.....at a small restaurant.....his wife...the hostess....said we would have to pay for our own meals....we have known these people for a long time....and know the cost of throwing this party wouldn't have been an issue.....my husband went.....but it was definitely a no for me....i thought it was insulting......

@nana59  really? insulting? We do this often. Some of us even pick up the tab for one or two from a family . I guess we are just different. Going to a birthday dinner on Friday and the same thing will be done. We whisper to the waitress I'll pay for the one in what color clothing they are wearing. I'll take the one in the blue and so on.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@PinkyPetunia wrote:

I would decline the invitation.  If you still want to salvage the day, suggest going out to a restaurant.  I would rather do that than chip in for something this other couple will order that you have no say about.  

@PinkyPetunia  that is if they can get a reservation and it just might cost more than $25 per person.

Respected Contributor

I wonder how the invite was worded by her husband.  I know if I asked mine to do it, he'd definitely mess it up or leave something out.

If it was something like, "Since we're both going to be without family this year would you like to come over.  We're planning to order out and we can share the cost."  Something like that wouldn't bother me at all. 

When the wife called back to tell you the cost, you should have said, "Oh, in that case let me think about it." or cancelled on the spot.  Of course you still can - tell her you'll think about it and let her know by such and such a date.

It's up to you.  Since you sound offended I would suggest you just cancel since it's bothering you.  Otherwise, if you enjoy their company then pay and have a good time.  The choice is yours to make.

Personally, I love the holidays with just the two of us.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would call and decline their kind "invite "  and then I would run.

These people are nuts and they are waving a red flag in your face.  I would never associate with people like this.

there is nothing else to say.  Hanging out with the like of this couple is going to cause heartache and problems now and down then road.

Esteemed Contributor

@elated wrote:

If you can't afford to feed people, you shouldn't invite them.  I have never heard of such poor etiquette. I would have declined to go when they mentioned you have to pay for your meal. I could see bringing dessert or side dishes to compliment the meal but not paying to eat with them. I wonder what is wrong with people.

@elated  The only problem I have with this is that they should have talked about it before and see if everyone agreed. Hey since we are alone what do you think about pooling together and ordering Thanksgiving dinner together. Let's make a menu and get together.

Call a restaurant they like and find out the charge and split it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Iwantcoffee wrote:

i do not think there is anything wrong with sharing the cost of a restaurant meal but asking to start would have been good. The Thanksgiving dishes restaurants sell here are expensive. I thought about purchasing from a restaurant last year but made a simple meal instead when I saw the prices. $25.00 would not have purchased one dish.

@Iwantcoffee  we are on the same page. This should have been decided at least a month before. No kitchen to clean.