Contributor

Thanks to all re mfg housing questions

Obviously, there is a wealth of knowledge here.  I went to see some dealers yesterday and got a good shock.  I live in a big city, but went to some smaller towns.  These homes were more expensive than houses in my neighborhood, well over $100 sq. ft. I guess I'm going to have to go with a "trailer."  I'm so disappointed.  I thought I would be able to afford something nice when I downsize, but I'd just be trading my current home for less square footage and more money.  Doesn't seem right to me.  

Wanted to thank all that answered.  Your knowledge is amazing.

Respected Contributor

Re: Thanks to all re mfg housing questions

@sixteencharacter wrote:

Obviously, there is a wealth of knowledge here.  I went to see some dealers yesterday and got a good shock.  I live in a big city, but went to some smaller towns.  These homes were more expensive than houses in my neighborhood, well over $100 sq. ft. I guess I'm going to have to go with a "trailer."  I'm so disappointed.  I thought I would be able to afford something nice when I downsize, but I'd just be trading my current home for less square footage and more money.  Doesn't seem right to me.  

Wanted to thank all that answered.  Your knowledge is amazing.

As an architect told me, modular isn't cheaper most if the time. It is normal, stick-built construction so costs are in line with site-built homes of the same quality and materials. The advantages had more to do with saving TIME vs. money, convenience in terms of having a shell or a finished house delivered and assembled quickly, and with keeping materials out of the weather during construction.