Respected Contributor

Re: Thankful for Friends Here Who Don't See Eye-to-Eye

[ Edited ]

Yes we have many different opinions and can learn much from others who have a another way of looking at things than we do.  That is a good thing to discuss our opinions and viewpoints.

But the unkindness part we can do without.  There is no reason for it when expressing a different opinion and some of our posters go much too far; for example, recently caliing a vendor and host Horrible in a critical tone.  No rhyme or reason for that.  Thank goodness our Mods keep that kind of viterol out of our forum, so we can go on and argue our different opinions in a constructive way.  Thank goodness we don't all see everything the same.  What a boring world that would be.

Honored Contributor

I choose to move on from the "unkind" comments.

Esteemed Contributor

The ones who can agree to disagree are great. Not the ones who tell you , you should be ashamed of your opinion and that your opinion is nonsense. 

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Respected Contributor

@Nancy Drew   I will agree with your post unless/until someone's opinion is hateful, racist, antisemetic, or containing discriminatory content.

That is not a subjective opinion as we all know how to identify the ugly.

Aside from that, to agree to disagree is the best course and I know you and I have done so on multiple occasions.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

Maybe we can put together a tiny QVC debate lexicon.  You know, some abbreviations that are quick signals to remind us how to conduct ourselves.

Since "agree to disagree" is great at nipping in the bud arguments that can quickly go downhill, maybe writing back "ATD," meaning "agree to disagree," would give us some freedom and breathing room.  It would free us from continuing a debate where no one is going to budge.  (We know ourselves well.)

So, to end a stalemate, type in ATD and be on your way!  Maybe ATD is all we need in the lexicon.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

@Nancy Drew   I will agree with your post unless/until someone's opinion is hateful, racist, antisemetic, or containing discriminatory content.

That is not a subjective opinion as we all know how to identify the ugly.

Aside from that, to agree to disagree is the best course and I know you and I have done so on multiple occasions.

But it can be subjective at times. I give the mods the final call on their forums. Even then the mods get the call on the forums but not necessarily off the forums. I have never be called racist by the mods but have seen others that IMO were not but the mods gets the final call not other posters.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Respected Contributor

@Nancy Drew   Of course the mods have the final call. 

If I do see something that falls into hateful posted, I would definitely challenge it.

People can disagree but when it resorts to personal attacks, any discussion is over.

As I said, you and I disagree on a multitude of things but I have never seen you be unkind.  If I have, I apologize.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

I participate on a board where the rule is you don't go after othe r posters. If you feel another poster has violated a board rule you report it and move on. It's a civilized way to operate. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

I appreciate this forum as someplace to go to escape work for awhile or when I am bored. I have learned a lot from others and am reminded to be grateful for what I have.
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead