Contributor

Re: Thank yous - what is proper etiquette these days?

For those asking, I sent cold hard cash - I know, lesson learned. I will ask the kid and be sure her mom knows when I do.  I will definitely rethink my preferences as far as my gift giving (or lack thereof) in the future. 

Super Contributor

The previous poster echos my feelings exactly.   I gave someone a gift card almost a month ago and never received a thank you in any form.  I am so disappointed in that person.   I also have relatives that I gifted repeatedly in the past and the gifts were never acknowledged.  I decided enough is enough and have stopped with all the gifts.  I remember a quote from Ann Landers saying something to the effect...nobody can take advantage of you unless you let them. 

Super Contributor

Unfortunatey, with this generation there is No etiquette nowadays. It is so sad.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66...I so agree with you.  I have a lot of saved thank you notes and drawings from my sisters kids....they are so fun to pull out and look at.

We are waiting on a thank you from our granddaughter for her birthday money....we did not call her on her birthday but her gift arrived on time, that I know, she could have called and said thanks...still waiting, and I am just about done with birthday gifts for grandkids, we rarely get a thanks nor we do get our birthdays acknowledged!

Honored Contributor

@shellbeach...I would ask if the gift was received....and I think this is the last year for our 16 year old granddaughter....we never get a thank you.

Contributor

For 10 years I would send my godson a birthday card with a check in it.  I knew the cards/checks were received because of my bank statement.  Well,  I decided when he turned 13 I would just send him a card.  He called(only time) to thank me but said "you forgot to put a check in it." I told him I deliberately left a check out because he never called to thank me.  His response was, "oh okay."  Never heard another word from him and that was 15 years ago.

Honored Contributor

When I was old enough to write, my father  made my sister and I sit down and write ThankYou letters every time we  received a gift from family or friends.  It was instilled in us to do this and as an adult I have continued to do so. Now this was in the 1960's....maybe today this is no longer  something parents teach children. Paper and pen.....but even a phone call saying ThankYou is better than nothing.

Trusted Contributor

@shellbeach ~ I'm sorry you never received an acknowledgment of your gifts.  I write thank you notes for everything.  I love beautiful note cards, stamps, stickers, all those things.  If it were me, I would let it go because my guess is she received both your gifts but just isn't inclined to send a note or make a phone call.  Then that would be that.  Next birthday, holiday, whatever ~ a verbal "Happy ~~~" would be it.  I can't tell you how many times this has happened to me.  It has happened from many different people, but it only happened once for each of those people.  I remember a couple years ago we gave our neighbor's daughter a birthday present.  We handed it to her over the fence with the parents standing there.  The mother asked if we would like some birthday cake and we said yes, thank you!  She went inside to get the cake and never came back out, lol!  Yeah, we felt a little stupid standing there waiting.  (A bit off-topic but just had to share that one)!  ;-) 

Trusted Contributor

@sweetee2,

Well said!🌻

Esteemed Contributor

I too am sick & tired of not receiving thank you notes or phone calls acknowledging my generosity. I taught my now 25 year old son to always say thank you & he does.It’s the right thing to do,period!!

I was a generous gift giver.Now I’m very selective as to whom I give to & how much.Over the past several years I’ve given gifts for every occasion imaginable including weddings. I’ve gotten very few acknowledgements.I now give fewer gifts & spend less on each one.

I guess people think they’re entitled to receive gifts.They feel thank you isn’t necessary. I disagree!! If you’re not appreciative enough to acknowledge my Kindness you get nothing!!

Oh & if you never had time to spend with me don’t invite me to your celebrations because you heard I’m generous. Because I won’t go nor will I send a check!!