Contributor

Thank you to those of you who helped me , and a suggestion for all who care to participate

I have not posted in well over a year, and I want to thank all of you who responded so lovingly to my thread, "why do good people have to suffer?" I purchased the books that were recommended by fellow QVC community members, and they helped me immensely. My dear father did pass away on Feb. 6th of last year, after seven long years of horrible suffering. Although I know he is at peace, I miss him so and can't believe that he's been "gone" nearly a year. I particularly want to thank "Sweetpeace" who lost her own father as well, and who is a wonderfully loving and kind person and a fellow animal lover.

Now, I hope that I will be able to do this in such a manner that many of you will at least consider what I have to say, as it is said out of compassion for those who are hurting in this country, and there are many. I am not trying to "stir the pot", nor to be banned by QVC from posting, or anything else negative.

If you are like me, there are few things that you actually "need" and instead, there are many things that you "want." In other words, many of this in this country have much in the way of material possessions and don't really "need" any more clothing, houseware, cookware, shoes, home decorating items, makeup, hair care products, etc, etc. etc. We have become a nation of consumers, and much of what we purchase, we give no thought to how that purchase will negatively impact our fellow Americans.

I am going to make a conscious effort in this New Year to purchase only items made in the USA. I admit, I have been very lax in doing that. For example, I ordered many sets of a particular sheet brand that is sold on the Q which is, in reality, wonderful. I gifted these to friends because I like them so much myself. And I did see where someone posted that this company was good to its employees, but the fact remains, that they are still manufactured in China, when they could just as easily be made here in the USA.

I just did a search, out of curiousity, for "cookware made in the USA" and although there are not many...only two pages...there is still some, that is made in the USA. I just purchased a Nordicware silver dollar pancake pan, which got two five star reviews.

I also ordered lip "crayons" from Tarte which are manufactured in the USA. With all of the people who are without jobs (some in my own family), and who are hurting so much financially, I can't bring myself to continue to buy indiscriminately from China. If more of us did this, our manufacturing base would return to this country and we would not be so "dependant" upon China. In addition, when China has such an abysmal record on human rights, when China treats animals, which I happen to love, so horrifically, why would I want to contribute to their economy ? (cats and dogs are consumed for food, and although that may be considered a "cultural" difference by some, to me, it is abhorrent.

I am not trying to sound preachy, I am just making a suggestion that just might help those Americans who are hurting so very much. You know, the old idea of supply and demand is so true...as long as we "demand" products from China, many of which are inferior or downright deadly , they will continue to "supply" them to us at great profit for them and great suffering for us, both economically and sometimes, in other ways. (heparin, lead ridden toys, deadly pet food, drywall that has cause countless illnesses, etc, etc etc).

Please understand that this is just a suggestion and I am not trying to force anyone to do something that they do not wish to do. But please keep in mind that it is a suggestion made out of great introspection, and out of compassion for the literally millions of Americans who can not find a job since so little is made in this country any more.