Regular Contributor

Wow, so I guess I should be thankful for a printed generic thank you note. I really don't understand why people can't take the time to write a note.

Honored Contributor

Another old fashion person when it comes to etiquette.  Like you, I perfer hand written thank you notes.  As well as hand written letters.

Now pre-printed thank you notes w/o a hand written signature is poor etiquette in my "old fashion" personal opinion. 

P.S.  At least you did get a "thank you" note.  Be thankful for that.  Most of these "youngins" don't even know what that is! whistling.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@KathyLFan wrote:

Be thankful you received a Thank You note.  My close friends & I are all in our 60s & our group does nothing but e-mail thank-yous, not even phone calls - we thank them when we receive the gift & follow up with e-mail.  I don't need my friends to have to spend almost half a dollar to mail a note.

Well, that may be different if you are all exchanging gifts within a group. HOWEVER, when I spend $100-$300 on a wedding gift for one of their kids, you better believe I think it is only appropriate that they write me a HANDWRITTEN Thank You! If they don't, I find it VERY difficult to gift when they start in on baby showers. Just sayin.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Regular Contributor

I appreciate everyone's comments. There were maybe 25 people at the Baptism, I'm not talking about 100-200 people. Even so, I would take the time to hand write a thank you. So glad for the QVC forums because I could never post this on FACEBOOK. LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Thank You notes

[ Edited ]

I understand your disappointment in todays times.  I have to add that many people under 50 years of age can barely spell correctly much less hand write - they barely print and not too legibly.  It's too bad that so many lost arts concerning courtesies and mannerisms of the past are gone and not encouraged.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Trusted Contributor

I am of the generation that still believes in handwritten thank you notes and that is the choice I use when I have received a gift.

However, I also think "What do I do with this now?"  "How long should I keep this?"  So, if someone sends me an e-mail or text thank you, I'm grateful to have at least received one.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Esteemed Contributor

Getting a pre-printed "thank-you" note is far better than getting NO "thank-you" of any kind, at all.

Respected Contributor

Re: Thank You notes

[ Edited ]

I believe in Thank You notes and hope I never stop sending them out.

Just yesterday I hand wrote, on stationery, a Thank You to a local business man (whom I just met over the phone) for doing something nice for me that was totally unexpected, and he waived his fee.

I bet he will be surprised that I sent him a note.

Honored Contributor

I'll take it a step further.......... Some of the young ones just give us folks a 'blank stare' when they receive a gift in person.  It's almost as though they cannot utter a 'thank you'; their minds just won't permit it.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Frequent Contributor

I am with you all the way and agree with MaggieMack.  Call me old school, but I appreciate receiving personal (that being the key word here) notes.  As a matter of fact, it is one of my pet peeves.  I believe that it is good manners to drop a small two sentence note to let the gift giver know that you acknowledged their time and/or money spent, or even simply enjoyed their company at the affair, if that may be the case. Sorry, but I don't want a text, don't want an email, and don't want just a signature on reprinted forms.