Respected Contributor

Re: Thai cave - - UPDATE: KIDS/COACH ARE NOW OUT

[ Edited ]

Hero Doctor Emerges To Family Tragedy

While the cave rescue had a happy ending, there was

personal sadness for the Australian anaesthetist when he

learned that his father had passed away last night, a short

time after the successful cave rescue operation. 

Richard Harris, a world renowned medic and diver whose
presence in the dramatic rescue of the Wild Boars squad
was specially requested by experts, was reportedly the last
person to leave the water-logged cavern on Tuesday.

He put his own life at risk to venture 2.5 miles into the

flooded cave to medically assess the 12 boys and their

coach each day after they were found, giving final

approval on their fitness to be taken out. It was

Harris who decided in what order they should leave.

This is clearly a time of grief for the Harris family,

magnified by the physical and emotional demands of

being part of this week’s highly complex and ultimately

successful rescue operation.

Honored Contributor

Re: #11 boy reported rescued from Thai cave - mission ongoing GOOD NEWS

[ Edited ]

@jubilant wrote:
trapped for days by floodwaters.
Thai cave rescue: How the cave nightmare began
Jim PollardPerthNow
July 8, 2018 3:49AM

IT was a birthday celebration after Saturday morning football practice. The 12 boys — members of Moo Pa, the Wild Boars football team — were drawn to a vast and seemingly magical cave, Tham Luang.

It’s two weeks ago now since it all began. The boys, aged 11 to 16, rode their bikes down to the cave and spent 700 baht ($28) at the local shop, buying food, soft drink and sweets.

They left their bikes at the entrance and descended deep into the cave. The sign nearby warning that venturing inside during the wet season was dangerous because of the risk of sudden flooding meant little — this was a place they knew and loved.

They were a motley mob — hill tribe lads, Shan, Lahu and Lua, plus a couple of Lanna Thai (boys from the north) — on a boys’ own adventure. But their little journey of exploration was badly timed. A torrential downpour, hardly surprising at this time of year — rudu fon (rainy season) — has left them in a dire predicament.

Family members raised the alarm later that day. Where were they?

Their parents’ concern drove their coach 25-year-old Ekapol Jantawong, a stateless orphan who shared their love of football, to the cave. Near the entrance, he found their bikes, a discovery that meant he had to go deep inside to try to locate them and bring them back.

*************  I think it would be wise to reserve judgement on this coach till we know the whole story.  

So if I'm understanding the article posted above, the coach went in the cave to retrieve the boys.  He did not lead them in?

edited to add question mark to last sentence.

Honored Contributor

Re: Thai cave - - UPDATE: ALL - including KIDS/COACH ARE NOW OUT

It's sad that, at a time when everyone should just be thankful the boys and their coach were successfully rescued, some people are ready to point fingers and assign "blame".  Does it make them feel better somehow?

No wonder the Thai authorities kept the media at a distance.  Their entire focus was on the rescue mission.  The families even wrote a letter to the coach to tell him they did not blame him.  That should be the end of the matter.  (And, as it seems to have turned out, he went in to save them; he did not lead them into danger.)

Clearly, the families and the Thai people have a more balanced and tolerant attitude than many outsiders.  JMHO.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@jubilant wrote:
Jim PollardPerthNow

IT was a birthday celebration after Saturday morning football practice. The 12 boys — members of Moo Pa, the Wild Boars football team — were drawn to a vast and seemingly magical cave, Tham Luang.

It’s two weeks ago now since it all began. The boys, aged 11 to 16, rode their bikes down to the cave and spent 700 baht ($28) at the local shop, buying food, soft drink and sweets.

They left their bikes at the entrance and descended deep into the cave. The sign nearby warning that venturing inside during the wet season was dangerous because of the risk of sudden flooding meant little — this was a place they knew and loved.

They were a motley mob — hill tribe lads, Shan, Lahu and Lua, plus a couple of Lanna Thai (boys from the north) — on a boys’ own adventure. But their little journey of exploration was badly timed. A torrential downpour, hardly surprising at this time of year — rudu fon (rainy season) — has left them in a dire predicament.

Their parents’ concern drove their coach 25-year-old Ekapol Jantawong, a stateless orphan who shared their love of football, to the cave. Near the entrance, he found their bikes, a discovery that meant he had to go deep inside to try to locate them and bring them back.

*************  I think it would be wise to reserve judgement on this coach till we know the whole story.  

So if I'm understanding the article posted above, the coach went in the cave to retrieve the boys.  He did not lead them in?

edited to add question mark to last sentence.

************** That's the way I interpreted it.  I don't know much about the newspaper that printed the article.  It was a newspaper from Australia (If I remember right). If this is right, however, I am not sure why the coach is  apologizing for his actions???  Even if it were true that he led them in....not thinking of the danger... the parents of these boys sure seem to like him.  That... in itself.... gives me pause to put into perspective what kind of young man he is.  It seems he is much liked and admired.  That should count for something. 

Respected Contributor

@jubilant wrote:
Jim PollardPerthNow

wow @jubilant

i have the utmost admiration for all involved - but i am one of those glass "half full" people.

as for the coach, he deserves praise to the skies for keeping them together, mentally ok - especially when the first were taken out and the others were hoping for the same. it must have been difficult to be at the end for the last group,  and he was the last one out.   i am sure his training as a Buddhist monk was of use and their culture as well.

as i read more and more since the rescue was completed, i realize how much misinformation showed up as time went on.  hopefully we'll be clear on the truth soonest.

Honored Contributor

Two of the Seals were on the Today show this morning.  One of them said that he had told the officials there was a 60 - 70% chance for them to get everyone out.  Everyone thought there would be casualties.  It was truly miraculous that everyone got out alive.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Thai cave - - UPDATE: ALL - including KIDS/COACH ARE NOW OUT

[ Edited ]

@Venezia wrote:

It's sad that, at a time when everyone should just be thankful the boys and their coach were successfully rescued, some people are ready to point fingers and assign "blame".  Does it make them feel better somehow?

No wonder the Thai authorities kept the media at a distance.  Their entire focus was on the rescue mission.  The families even wrote a letter to the coach to tell him they did not blame him.  That should be the end of the matter.  (And, as it seems to have turned out, he went in to save them; he did not lead them into danger.)

Clearly, the families and the Thai people have a more balanced and tolerant attitude than many outsiders.  JMHO.

@Venezia I agree, why point a finger to blame? The coach saved them all when it came down to it! When the Seals get their awards of heroism  (of which there should be many!) the coach should be standing right there- next to them. 

On the 20/20 episode last night they mentioned the caves were a place to venture and hang out-  going to the caves was a pretty normal activity. They had just finished soccer practice and had free time before heading home. When they didn't return - the head coach found the bicycles by the caves. The assistant coach was the coach in the caves with them. 

https://abc.go.com/shows/2020/episode-guide/2018-07/10-071018-triumph-in-thailand