Honored Contributor

Thai SEAL dies of blood infection a year after cave rescue....

A Thai navy SEAL who was part of the dramatic rescue of 12 boys and their soccer coach from a flooded cave has died of a blood infection contracted during the risky operation, the Royal Thai Navy said.

So very sad.  His rescue efforts cost him his life - along with another that lost his life during the operation.   These heros risked their lives to help save those boys. RIP.

Respected Contributor

Re: Thai SEAL dies of blood infection a year after cave rescue....

How sad.  I'm wondering what the early infection could have been.  Anyone know? Maybe an early injury site?  It obviously was something more localized, that finally went systemic, with sepsis.  He couldn't have had a blood infection for a year.  I guess I'm just hoping he received the aggressive treatment he obviously needed. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The infection could have been a result of coming in contact with organisms known to live in caves. There are several kinds of microorganisms there which can make you very sick.

The water there was very muddy and probably filled with organisms.

Honored Contributor

I mourn the loss of such a noble soul.  This man gave his life to help others.  My sympathy to his family and friends.

Respected Contributor

@BlueFinch wrote:

How sad.  I'm wondering what the early infection could have been.  Anyone know? Maybe an early injury site?  It obviously was something more localized, that finally went systemic, with sepsis.  He couldn't have had a blood infection for a year.  I guess I'm just hoping he received the aggressive treatment he obviously needed. 

I wonder as well.  Could it be he suffered a cut or a puncture that allowed bacteria to enter the body somewhere?

I remember hearing reports throughout the year that his mother noted he was in and out of the hospital several times since the rescue.

I prayed his life would be spared since he saved so many lives.  it seemed only fair, but alas it was not to be.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee  Yes, for sure, they were working in a bacterial, fungal, parasitic pool. I'd like to know what organism, though.  I'm also curious about what the entry site may have been and why it was something that was so resistant to treatment for a year, only to go septic and take his life.  

After all, he was a physically fit, athletic man. You'd think he'd have a pretty strong immune system which would have assisted in treatment. Something virulent, and resistant, or something missed?  

Respected Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl Yes, I've been trying to remember if they reported he had any injuries, even minor.  I'm sure everyone there had little cuts and scratches and, of course, other obvious entry sites. You'd think more than one person would have been affected, with such a large group. 

I've  been researching some old news, to no avail. Maybe more info will be released.  If not, it looks like we'll never know. I just hope he had the best care available. Maybe it made it, or will, into some medical journals.  I'll keep an eye out.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I suspect he died of melioidosis. You can google that and see what it is, a bacterial infection.  This is not confirmed but highly suspicious imo.

This article goes in to detail about what could have infected those involved in the rescue, including the boys:

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20180710-thai-cave-the-dangerous-diseases-you-can-catch-in-caves

Honored Contributor

Interesting article and corresponding research paper.
Honored Contributor

Very interesting article @SilleeMee .  Thanks so much for sharing.