Respected Contributor

Re: •••Texting & Driving Cautionary Video•••

Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I think it should be illegal to have children, or any passengers in your car while you drive.

They can be a distraction, and might cause an accident.

I think that we should remove ALL road signs, because it's a distraction to read them, and that might cause an accident.

All vehicles should have their spedometers removed as well, because glancing at it, is a distraction and might cause an accident.

While we are at it, we need to get rid of the mirrors too, because they too are distractions, and glancing at them can cause an accident.

In fact, we'll get rif of everything that has a button or knob. Those things can be so distracting, and could lead to an accident.

So what if you're hot in summer, cold and/or wet in winter?

At least you don't have those pesky things to distract you from your driving, that can cause an accident, right?

Who needs to be warm/cold/dry?

We'll implant thought chips in to people's minds, so we can tell if they are paying 100% attention to the road, or are thinking about what's for dinner, and if their mind isn't 100% on the road, if it thinks about anything else, even for a second, we'll fine them $1 million dollars.

That should eliminate a lot of the distractions that can lead to accidents! :-)

Well just because we can't make things perfect doesn't

mean we shouldnt try to make them better we can't

just give up and say don't try imho.

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I cant see the video it says become a member and it never pops up. Anyway we have an ad here in PA that shows the dangers of texting but its not scary enough in my opinion. Ive seen other ads in foreign languages that show death and injuries. I dont know what yours shows cant see it but IMO they should make them extra graphic. But who knows if it works? People just dont care anymore like they used to and its sad!

I see people every day that I go out on phones in the car and no its not just teens like a lot of people think. Mostly who I see on the phones are 30 some year olds (mostly women/moms) on UP with children in the car! I guess not only do they not care about themselves, they dont care about their children, or other drivers either. Its quite sad!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Shorty2U wrote:

I cant see the video it says become a member and it never pops up. Anyway we have an ad here in PA that shows the dangers of texting but its not scary enough in my opinion. Ive seen other ads in foreign languages that show death and injuries. I dont know what yours shows cant see it but IMO they should make them extra graphic. But who knows if it works? People just dont care anymore like they used to and its sad!

I see people every day that I go out on phones in the car and no its not just teens like a lot of people think. Mostly who I see on the phones are 30 some year olds (mostly women/moms) on UP with children in the car! I guess not only do they not care about themselves, they dont care about their children, or other drivers either. Its quite sad!

Hmmm.  @Shorty2U I didn't have to join anything to see the video

maybe you saw a pop up asking if you want to give them your email 

to get info from the site?

Here's the video on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVnRcIXEqaU

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I'm sorry, but, for the life of me, I cannot believe anyone would be stupid enough to text while driving ..... it's like trying to watch TV while driving!!!   

Unfortunately driving and trying to text is quite common, especially among teen drivers. A friend of mine was involved in a terrible accident about 4 years ago on his way home from work A young girl was texting and speeding and crossed the double lane highway directly into his path. It happened so suddenly there was no way he could of avoided her. She was killed. He was driving a big Dodge Ram truck that looked down upon her vehicle. He actually saw her pass away. He was air lifted to the hospital with a severe leg injury. He still tears up when driving past the site.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh my goodness.........It's so common around here.  And I know that other posters here think I'm exaggerating, and I wish I were.  Walking, driving while texting.  In fact, just the other day, we saw a bicycler texting while bicycling, believe it or not!  Mostly women driving (males, not so much at all).  95-99% of the walking teens.  Lots of moms driving their kids around, texting.  And, of course, just about everyone walking and texting. (Again, males, not so much at all.)  I've been hearing that it's a definite addiction and/or epidemic.  I can definitely agree with that theory.  Anyway, I'm feeling sorry for the state of affairs (businesses, etc.) who will be employing these future texting-addicted employees.  Can you imagine what will happen? 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

NH has a law that requires a hands-free device while driving.  I have my phone connected to Bluetooth in my car so I can call hands-free.  I don't text no matter where I am. 

Funny thing, I've still seen people texting and talking while driving in spite of the law.  Like most other attempts at "behavior-modification-by-law", this one will probably have little impact unless police stop every vehicle and check for phones and texting devices in cars.  That would probably go over as well as check points outside bars, etc. for drunk drivers.

Honored Contributor

Shorty2U:  I was going to say mostly moms, but thought I'd stay out of trouble.  Yes, lots and lots of moms around here texting, in a mad rush to go wherever.  Kids in their cars, etc.  Sorry to say....(Sad face)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

@newziesuzie wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I think it should be illegal to have children, or any passengers in your car while you drive.

They can be a distraction, and might cause an accident.

I think that we should remove ALL road signs, because it's a distraction to read them, and that might cause an accident.

All vehicles should have their spedometers removed as well, because glancing at it, is a distraction and might cause an accident.

While we are at it, we need to get rid of the mirrors too, because they too are distractions, and glancing at them can cause an accident.

In fact, we'll get rif of everything that has a button or knob. Those things can be so distracting, and could lead to an accident.

So what if you're hot in summer, cold and/or wet in winter?

At least you don't have those pesky things to distract you from your driving, that can cause an accident, right?

Who needs to be warm/cold/dry?

We'll implant thought chips in to people's minds, so we can tell if they are paying 100% attention to the road, or are thinking about what's for dinner, and if their mind isn't 100% on the road, if it thinks about anything else, even for a second, we'll fine them $1 million dollars.

That should eliminate a lot of the distractions that can lead to accidents! :-)

Well just because we can't make things perfect doesn't

mean we shouldnt try to make them better we can't

just give up and say don't try imho.

So you admit that there will always be distractions to driving, and that it is impossible to eliminate ALL of them. 

Respected Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I'm sorry, but, for the life of me, I cannot believe anyone would be stupid enough to text while driving ..... it's like trying to watch TV while driving!!!   

Unfortunately driving and trying to text is quite common, especially among teen drivers. A friend of mine was involved in a terrible accident about 4 years ago on his way home from work A young girl was texting and speeding and crossed the double lane highway directly into his path. It happened so suddenly there was no way he could of avoided her. She was killed. He was driving a big Dodge Ram truck that looked down upon her vehicle. He actually saw her pass away. He was air lifted to the hospital with a severe leg injury. He still tears up when driving past the site.

Oh that's so sad @Allegheny.

If only everybody could think of the consequences

before they make these mistakes.

😔

Respected Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Oh my goodness.........It's so common around here.  And I know that other posters here think I'm exaggerating, and I wish I were.  Walking, driving while texting.  In fact, just the other day, we saw a bicycler texting while bicycling, believe it or not!  Mostly women driving (males, not so much at all).  95-99% of the walking teens.  Lots of moms driving their kids around, texting.  And, of course, just about everyone walking and texting. (Again, males, not so much at all.)  I've been hearing that it's a definite addiction and/or epidemic.  I can definitely agree with that theory.  Anyway, I'm feeling sorry for the state of affairs (businesses, etc.) who will be employing these future texting-addicted employees.  Can you imagine what will happen? 

Wadr @ROMARY I don't think it's a gender

specific problem.