Honored Contributor

Re: Texting Has Deadly Consequences

gees I'd holler "you dead"?

Honored Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

Kachina624:  Do you really believe that this wouldn't have happened if there had been a law against texting while driving?  Do you really believe that the person would have said: "Whoa, I better not do this because it's illegal"?  I live in a state where using hand-held devices while driving is illegal and I still see drivers doing it?  Driving while drunk is illegal everywhere, yet drivers still drive while drunk.  Most states require use of seat belts when driving, yet some drivers won't use them anyway.  You can't legislate personal judgement and personal responsibility.  Those kinds of laws are "feel-good laws" that accomplish little or nothing.

@Cats3000

Do I think a law would have made a difference in this case? No. But laws with teeth, 5-10 years in State Prison for Motor Vehicle Homicide? Yes, it eventually would have the potential to disswage some from taking the risk. A slap on the hands, a few points off of your drivers license? Nope.

Time to treat these morons as what they are when innocent people die because of their stupidity. What they are after this happens? Alleged criminals charged with a Homicide by Motor Vehicle.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In Georgia it's against the law to text and drive or even check your phone at a red light but it doesn't matter THEY DO IT ANYWAY REGARDLESS!!!  IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!   

I believe it should be a law everywhere that you can't be on the phone while driving.. pull off the road and do your business.  It can't be that darn important to jeopardize yourself, your passengers and everyone else on the road.. but look at all the doo-dahs the car companies keep adding- portable offices..  grrrrrrrrrrr 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cats3000 wrote:

Kachina624:  Do you really believe that this wouldn't have happened if there had been a law against texting while driving?  Do you really believe that the person would have said: "Whoa, I better not do this because it's illegal"?  I live in a state where using hand-held devices while driving is illegal and I still see drivers doing it?  Driving while drunk is illegal everywhere, yet drivers still drive while drunk.  Most states require use of seat belts when driving, yet some drivers won't use them anyway.  You can't legislate personal judgement and personal responsibility.  Those kinds of laws are "feel-good laws" that accomplish little or nothing.

@Cats3000

At least there are still some consequences, certainly better than the texter going on his merry way....same with the drunk driver.....even if the only punishment is if it makes their insurance rates go up....at least they are paying more money than those that obey laws..Or in some cases their drivers license is suspended...and some may face some jail time ...I have a friend that works for an insurance company an she said a guy that had several DUI's his premium was $25,000 a year---he was put in an assigned risk pool, and the only way he even got his license back was going without driving for a time, taking defensive driving courses, and filling a special form with the insurance company, and he went through a rehab program and he was begging the insurance company to do something to lower his rates....and my friend said she heard their insurance underwriter's response  .....sure there is something we can do....advise you to get a ride in a taxi or a city bus....!!!!!  Personally, I think it's judges that are too easy on the DUI idiots......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@Smoky wrote:

In Georgia it's against the law to text and drive or even check your phone at a red light but it doesn't matter THEY DO IT ANYWAY REGARDLESS!!!  IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!   

I believe it should be a law everywhere that you can't be on the phone while driving.. pull off the road and do your business.  It can't be that darn important to jeopardize yourself, your passengers and everyone else on the road.. but look at all the doo-dahs the car companies keep adding- portable offices..  grrrrrrrrrrr 

@Suziepeach

The rare times that I have gotten a phone call as I was driving, I have done exactly that, I pulled over to the side of the road.

Honored Contributor

@Smoky wrote:

@Suziepeach

Its just another addiction....

I guess the only hope from these texters is the advance in technology with these driverless cars they keep experimenting with....and even then....heaven help us! Woman Frustrated

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

In many states here in the South texting while driving isnt against the law. I do find it amoral and irresponsible.

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 and @Spurt,  I completely agree it's an addiction and when I drive my phone is in my purse- if I call my husband it's through my truck phone.. all hands free and a couple minutes to say "I'm on my way home, Love you."

I mean come on, what in hail is so important to constantly stay on a stupid cell phone while driving.  I know this is trivial in comparison to that horrible accident but so, so many at Disneyworld were oblivious to the happiest place on earth- we were almost run over many many times by people on their cellphones- not talking to their family, each in their own world.. that's so sad what it's become. And at dinners, no one talking, they were on their phones playing games or talking..  Shhhhhh I watched April in one restuarant but my husband and I talked and looked at her.  To me it's gone wayyyyyyyyyy over board, cells are great, don't get me wrong, but that old addiction kicks in.. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Smoky wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 and @Spurt,  I completely agree it's an addiction and when I drive my phone is in my purse- if I call my husband it's through my truck phone.. all hands free and a couple minutes to say "I'm on my way home, Love you."

I mean come on, what in hail is so important to constantly stay on a stupid cell phone while driving.  I know this is trivial in comparison to that horrible accident but so, so many at Disneyworld were oblivious to the happiest place on earth- we were almost run over many many times by people on their cellphones- not talking to their family, each in their own world.. that's so sad what it's become. And at dinners, no one talking, they were on their phones playing games or talking..  Shhhhhh I watched April in one restuarant but my husband and I talked and looked at her.  To me it's gone wayyyyyyyyyy over board, cells are great, don't get me wrong, but that old addiction kicks in.. 

@Suziepeach

I totally agree and well said!  And yes the Zombie Apocalypse is upon us ---these people are oblivious to the world around them and are not paying attention to anything but their phones.....they dont care who is in their path.....nothing matters but their phone....that's why some states are even passing laws prohibiting walking and talking/texting......out of control!

Its gotten so ridiculous my friends and I had to come to an agreement when we go to lunch or dinner together that all phones are put up.... I think the turning point was when we were at a restuarant and we were having actual conversations laughing and talking etc etc.....The waitress came by to check on how we liked the food and how we were doing.....she points to the table near us where all twentysomethings were silent, all of them were on their phones.....she said, I don't get it, and I bet they are texting each other even though the person is right beside them---LOL!!!!  I gave this waitress a HUGE tip....she was exactly right!!!

Employers are also keeping track of lost productivity because their employees are on their phones instead of working like they are supposed to be.....I know my company has made it clear, put your phone up or you can be fired if you are supposed to be working and you are on your personal phone!!!---if there is an emergency situation, then let your Boss know before you pick up or make that call!!!......

Honored Contributor

TRUE STORY

Ok, hubbo said he was in the mens room of a restaurent.

guy in the next stall was trying to do his business and he told the person he was talking to "hold on, I got to put the phone down while I'm wiping my ***   ".

C'mon, people ! you can't take the time to use the Charmin ?

LOL

hubbo left in a hurry !!!!!!!!!!!

ROFL