Esteemed Contributor

Re: Texas mom kills 2 daughters

[ Edited ]

@Reba055, .

*here's hoping my links don't go poof*  It is a matter of importance for us all.

http://behaviorismandmentalhealth.com/2010/05/05/personality-disorders-are-not-illnesses/

http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/conditions/personality-disorder

Edited to add:   DISREGARD THE LINKS WITHIN 

Personality Disorders are classified as "heterogenous" insomuch that they are permanent fixtures as part of the personality.  A true mental disorder has a physiological basis and can come and go.  The two can overlap though.  Personality Disorders aren't normal behavior and the only treatment for some of them is treatment through the therapeutic model of therapy.  CBT, and so on.  These disorders are clustered into sections and vary greatly.  Some, have no treatment ability at all (Narcissistic Personality Disorder).  

I certainly won't mind it if it turns out that I am wrong about what I know or have studied in the past.  So much changes.  If I am wrong, I will defer to your understanding of it.  This only benefits us all and is the right thing to do.

*Call Tyrone*
Super Contributor

I read that she claimed to suffer from frequent headaches and would not show up for work because of them. Maybe she had a brain tumor? Who really knows if it was a medical issue or if she was just plain evil. Clearly, at the very least, she had a personality disorder. Wonder if she was ever checked out by a physician and or a psychiatrist. 

Esteemed Contributor

@justmyopinion wrote:

I read that she claimed to suffer from frequent headaches and would not show up for work because of them. Maybe she had a brain tumor? Who really knows if it was a medical issue or if she was just plain evil. Clearly, at the very least, she had a personality disorder. Wonder if she was ever checked out by a physician and or a psychiatrist. 

There's a lot we don't know.  Until we hear that she had a mental (medical) or personality disorder, I'm inclined to just wait and see, like you.

*Call Tyrone*
Super Contributor

CNN:

Jason Sheats told police his wife suffered from depression, Nehls said. She was taking "numerous" prescription medications and seeing a therapist. She had been admitted to a private mental health facility three times in recent years for attempted suicide, Nehls said.
Jason Sheats told police that his wife of more than 20 years began a "downward spiral" after the 2012 death of her beloved grandfather, from whom she received the gun, Nehls said. Her mother died two months later, worsening her condition.
Days before the shootings Christy Sheats had a fight with her oldest daughter in which she tried to ground Taylor and forbid her from seeing her fiancee, Jason Sheats told police. The father disagreed with his wife that grounding was an appropriate punishment for a 22-year-old, Nehls said.
Christy Sheats shot her daughters inside the home, starting with Taylor, Nehls said. Taylor sustained a single gunshot through the back. Madison was shot through the neck.
After they were were shot Jason Sheats managed to run behind the couch and get them outside, Nehls said. Both daughters collapsed in the street.
By then, the sheriff's office had responded to a 911 call and confronted Christy Sheats outside the home. When she advanced at them with the gun, refusing commands put it down, an officer fatally shot her.
Jason Sheats did not appear at Wedndesay's news conference but gave the sheriff's office permission to share his account, Nehls said.
"We look at him as a victim," Nehls said. "This is something he is going to have to live with for the rest of his life.
"She accomplished what she set out to do, which is to make him suffer."

Esteemed Contributor

@justmyopinion wrote:

CNN:

Jason Sheats told police his wife suffered from depression, Nehls said. She was taking "numerous" prescription medications and seeing a therapist. She had been admitted to a private mental health facility three times in recent years for attempted suicide, Nehls said.
Jason Sheats told police that his wife of more than 20 years began a "downward spiral" after the 2012 death of her beloved grandfather, from whom she received the gun, Nehls said. Her mother died two months later, worsening her condition.
Days before the shootings Christy Sheats had a fight with her oldest daughter in which she tried to ground Taylor and forbid her from seeing her fiancee, Jason Sheats told police. The father disagreed with his wife that grounding was an appropriate punishment for a 22-year-old, Nehls said.

This indicates she at least had Clinical Depression and whatever else.  This is .
 so sad.  Sometimes treatment works and sometimes it does not.
*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@justmyopinion wrote:

CNN:

Christy Sheats shot her daughters inside the home, starting with Taylor, Nehls said. Taylor sustained a single gunshot through the back. Madison was shot through the neck.
After they were were shot Jason Sheats managed to run behind the couch and get them outside, Nehls said. Both daughters collapsed in the street.
By then, the sheriff's office had responded to a 911 call and confronted Christy Sheats outside the home. When she advanced at them with the gun, refusing commands put it down, an officer fatally shot her.
Jason Sheats did not appear at Wedndesay's news conference but gave the sheriff's office permission to share his account, Nehls said.
"We look at him as a victim," Nehls said. "This is something he is going to have to live with for the rest of his life.

@justmyopinion  Thank you for this article and it clarifies many issues as well as answers many questions BUT she had been on social media sites bragging about TEN weapons, not ONE.

AND

Just like in the Andrea Yates case, is she was so ill why the heck wasn't she hospitalized annnnnnnnnnd why oh why did she have access to soooooooo many weapons????  Her behavior prior to the shootings deserved being monitored at the very least. 

(my questions aren't directed to you - I'm asking in general)

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Esteemed Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@justmyopinion wrote:

CNN:

@justmyopinion  Thank you for this article and it clarifies many issues as well as answers many questions BUT she had been on social media sites bragging about TEN weapons, not ONE.

AND

Just like in the Andrea Yates case, is she was so ill why the heck wasn't she hospitalized annnnnnnnnnd why oh why did she have access to soooooooo many weapons????  Her behavior prior to the shootings deserved being monitored at the very least. 

(my questions aren't directed to you - I'm asking in general)

Valid questions at that.  The same with the Newtown shootings.  He was mentally ill with guns that his mother let him have access to.  I don't understand this at all.

*Call Tyrone*
Super Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@justmyopinion, thanks for sharing updates.

*Call Tyrone*
Respected Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Reba055, .

*here's hoping my links don't go poof*  It is a matter of importance for us all.

http://behaviorismandmentalhealth.com/2010/05/05/personality-disorders-are-not-illnesses/

http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/conditions/personality-disorder

Edited to add:

Personality Disorders are classified as "heterogenous" insomuch that they are permanent fixtures as part of the personality.  A true mental disorder has a physiological basis and can come and go.  The two can overlap though.  Personality Disorders aren't normal behavior and the only treatment for some of them is treatment through the therapeutic model of therapy.  CBT, and so on.  These disorders are clustered into sections and vary greatly.  Some, have no treatment ability at all (Narcissistic Personality Disorder).  

I certainly won't mind it if it turns out that I am wrong about what I know or have studied in the past.  So much changes.  If I am wrong, I will defer to your understanding of it.  This only benefits us all and is the right thing to do.

@itiswhatitis Well it's more complicated than I care to delve into, but the new DSM-5 removed personality disorder from its separate axis and it is now included with all other mental disorders.