Respected Contributor

Re: Texas mom kills 2 daughters

I am not going to crucify the man for what he did/didn't do.

Nobody knows what went on, etc. Hind sight is always 20/20 as they say. I am sure in that limited time a million things rang thru his mind. It happens so very quickly ..

It is a horrific tragedy and while gun control will be and should be an issue at times. Mental Illness also  and the thing is everybody wants to 'lock them up..' but nobody wants to pay for it. That is right, we don't want our taxes going up, nobody wants to pay more in school taxes for children - so who is going to want to pay for the mentally ill?

I have 20+ years experience in the mental health field and it is very upsetting to see this vulnerable segement of our population always left out in the dark with limited funds. Everybody is about 'community' based services. NO!!! Sorry but NO!! there are some that need that hospital level of care..it is always about their 'rights..' well what about the rights of others too...this is another subject though.

The woman either had a history of mental health issues, even untreated..or she just 'snapped and lost it.." you have to in my mind to do that to your own children..as I did read the things she had on her facebook page..loving tributes to her kids on Children's Day etc..but also a strong gun proponent - which maybe for her she shouldn't of been allowed to have ..but that too is another topic..

Her poor children..those beautiful girls..and their father..what heii is he living and I am not going to judge that poor man. None of us where there that is for sure.

Honored Contributor

He was her husband, he had to know she was mentally ill if she was railing and rambling online.

He should have seen to it that she could not have access to a gun.

Valued Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

He was her husband, he had to know she was mentally ill if she was railing and rambling online.

This is where I agree, the man went wrong.  He should have removed the guns.

You have sacrificed nothing and no one.
Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

The common denominator in traffic deaths is vehicles so lets ban cars and trucks.

Alcohol plays a part so lets prohibit it. It was a disaster last time;  perhaps it will succeed this time.

The primary purpse of a gun is killing. You don't even use it for protection unless you intend to shoot to kill. Killing is not the primary purpose of a car or of alcohol, which I'm guessing you know. Logical fallacy by way of a false equivilency. 

But sure, let's go there anyway. To drive a car, you need to be at least 16, have a certain number of practice hours behind a wheel with a licensed adult, take a test, pay a fee, and then be licensed by the state. Every car must be registered and every driver must be insured. States also require regular safety inspections of cars in order to renew the registration.

I'd be happy to treat guns like cars. 

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

The common denominator in traffic deaths is vehicles so lets ban cars and trucks.

Alcohol plays a part so lets prohibit it. It was a disaster last time;  perhaps it will succeed this time.

The primary purpse of a gun is killing. You don't even use it for protection unless you intend to shoot to kill. Killing is not the primary purpose of a car or of alcohol, which I'm guessing you know. Logical fallacy by way of a false equivilency. 

But sure, let's go there anyway. To drive a car, you need to be at least 16, have a certain number of practice hours behind a wheel with a licensed adult, take a test, pay a fee, and then be licensed by the state. Every car must be registered and every driver must be insured. States also require regular safety inspections of cars in order to renew the registration.

I'd be happy to treat guns like cars. 

You nailed it @ChynnaBlue

Super Contributor

Has anyone ever tried to take a gun away from a legal gun owner that they believed to be unstable?

Good luck with that.

Respected Contributor

Where was the "good guy with a gun" to protect the girls? Shouldn't that have been the dad?

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

Now, here is where it gets interesting.  Her employer fired her because he said she was "different."  Not mentally ill.  

Finally, maybe she wasn't mentally ill and that's why she was allowed to have her guns.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

The chief reason people own guns is not to kill people but to protect themselves and others. They provide security the same as locks on doors, secuity systems, mounted cameras. 

It's unfortunate that people need to protect themselves but the police can't be everywhere. As drug addiction has increased so has crime. People desparate for money will do anything including breaking into homes and killing anyone who gets in their way.

Esteemed Contributor

"...The national news doesn't always get all the facts right in the haste to report something that hasn't even been solidified by the local authorites."

I agree.  Glad someone else besides me recognizes their oft times faulty reporting.

*Call Tyrone*