Esteemed Contributor

Texas and the Kindness of Strangers

Devastation all around.  Sad to watch.  One bright spot is the kindness of strangers.  I don't watch news anymore... too much controversy... But this ... watching all those reaching out to others... makes me proud and hopeful. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Texas and the Kindness of Strangers

@bonnieluIn a disaster this big, big organizations and big government can do the heavy lifting but it's the stories of individuals helping however they can, when they can, that also make me feel some optimism.

One of my favorite pictures of my mother shows her in a rowboat in the flood water surrounding her house -  to this day, I have no idea who the rescuer was nor who took her in until she could return home.  It wasn't family -  the only relative in town was even worse off  and it wasn't neighbors, all of whom were also flooded. 

We do need each other.

Honored Contributor

I believe in the people...when there is the need there is always someone willing to help.

Respected Contributor

So many good hearted people...

Respected Contributor

There are some people who are just angels on earth.  And there are so many inspiring stories coming out of Houston. Gallery Furniture has made their stores into shelters for Houstonians.  It's heartwarming and heartbreaking at the sametime to see people sleeping on the sofas in the Furniture stores.

Also, the stories of Cajun Navy (volunteers with boats) coming from Louisiana to rescue stranded Houstonian are also heartwarming.

Esteemed Contributor

I have been glued to the coverage. I am amazed at what people are doing. Yes some bad behavior by some but for the most part I am so proud of what Americans stand for. So brave. Please give if you can to the Red Cross. This won't be over for a very long time.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Respected Contributor

glad to see people take things into their own hands to help one another - Texans are so made of the "right stuff."

Esteemed Contributor

Learn something new everyday. The Cajun navy, angels on earth!

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

I am amazed by all of the goodness that comes from tragedies.People helping,donating,saving, and feeding and clothing strangers because they care...so moving.God bless America!

Respected Contributor

@dex wrote:

I am amazed by all of the goodness that comes from tragedies.People helping,donating,saving, and feeding and clothing strangers because they care...so moving.God bless America!

I do not disagree; however, as I watch the news coverage, I so wish our culture was one where it wouldn't take a catastrophe to unite us.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.