Esteemed Contributor

Tests show new virus lives on some surfaces for up to 3 days

The new coronavirus can live in the air for several hours and on some surfaces for as long as two to three days, tests by U.S. government and other scientists have found.

Their work, published Wednesday, suggests people can get infected through the air as well as from touching things that were contaminated by others who have it, in addition to direct person-to-person contact.

Since emerging in China late last year, the new virus has infected more than 120,000 people worldwide and caused more than 4,300 deaths -- far more than the 2003 SARS outbreak caused by a genetically similar virus.

For this study, researchers used a nebulizer device to put samples of the new virus into the air, imitating what might happen if an infected person coughed or made the virus airborne some other way.

They found that viable virus could be detected up to three hours later in the air, up to four hours on copper, up to 24 hours on cardboard and up to two to three days on plastic and stainless steel.

Balance of article:  https://apnews.com/fe0239e95b8ad1037639ed833b990e48

Published paper:  https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.09.20033217v1.full.pdf

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Re: Tests show new virus lives on some surfaces for up to 3 days

Woman Surprised

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Marp worse than I thought.

Honored Contributor

Anybody got any copper pots and pans you want to sell me? Thinking of melting them down to make me a nice suit of armor. Woman Very Happy

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

At least the study shows that by the time most packages would get to us from overseas, the virus would be dead. Now local packages...that's different.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

Just googled this and it states "Published studies have indicated that coronaviruses in general, not just the new one, can last up to 9 days on surfaces." (Cited by Today.com health).  

Respected Contributor

We are doomed!  

Honored Contributor

I've heard similar things for a number of days now. 

I think that there isn't as much 'panic' with the officials here as there is a knowledge of things like this that we don't/didn't know yet.

Esteemed Contributor

I have been wiping mail and MAILBOX and packages.  Also cans and boxes from store.

Super Contributor

I heard today that it's up to 9 days.