Honored Contributor

Re: Terminally ill California woman

God bless her.

Years ago we had Kevorkian.  Guy just had to run off at the mouth on a 60 minutes interview and ruin it all.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Why is it okay to put down our pets when they are suffering with terminal illnesses but we cannot bring ourselves to end our loved ones lives when they are suffering with terminal illnesses?

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@Mrsq2022 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

I think many of us in this country are very torn with this subject and procedure (for lack of a better word from me right now).

Through our religious upbringing and or beliefs, to end one's life is wrong, it is not to be a decision left in our hands. But our sense of compassion for those suffering wants us to believe and understand that it just couldn't be wrong to stop that if a person decides while of sound mind, that this is how they wish it to be.

I sincerely struggle with this and I know many others do as well, and I hope that those that have chosen that path, are now at peace.

It must be religion that causes people to  struggle with this.  I've never felt conflicted over it, and I have no doubt whatsoever that those who chose this path are at peace.

Personally, I don't think it is religion (although it probably is only religion in many cases) so much as a conlict with one's faith. Some of you will understand exactly what I mean, others won't. 

Honored Contributor

A very personal decision which belongs to the individual.

ALS is such a dreadful, dreadful illness.  No one, NO ONE, should be forced to live with something like that.

NO ONE EVER!

Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Why is it okay to put down our pets when they are suffering with terminal illnesses but we cannot bring ourselves to end our loved ones lives when they are suffering with terminal illnesses?

As a culture, we also end pets lives because of percieved over population, no one willing to give them home or expensive medical expenses. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I don't have any conflict with this issue.  One of my closest friends died of pancreatic cancer.  Her hospice nurses told the family when the worst would come, how many days it would take to pass, and how she could hasten it.  That is common practice here, I know some say it never happens but it does.  BTW, my friend did not hasten her passing.

I was there through it all, horrible, terrible suffering, including for the family.

DH and I have discussed this over the years many times, we both would choose not dragging it out, for us or our daughter. 

TO BE CLEAR: It would be when the end is near and inevitable.

Honored Contributor

Bless her for having the strength to end it. It would take remarkable courage....

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

Bless her for having the strength to end it. It would take remarkable courage....

I could not agree more.

It takes a lot of strength to attend a gathering like the one described in the article I read about this farewell party.

ALS is a horrid disease.

Esteemed Contributor

She chose the way she wanted to pass, not the way others would have wanted. May she RIP

Honored Contributor

I am happy that she was able to decide when to end her life on earth. To me, that is the ultimate choice any human being would and should, be able to make. Good for her, and may she Rest in Peace.

hckynut(john)