Super Contributor

Re: Terminally ill California woman

@Mominohio wrote:

@ZoetheCat wrote:

I, too, am amazed at this woman's courage.  As a Catholic, I know that my religion says that euthanasia is not acceptable.  I will be the first to say that I am not a particuarly devote Catholic, but I still identify with my religion.  So, I understand the reluctance to accept the idea of determining the circumstances of one's demise.  But, the thing is, no matter what any individual believes in, I don't think anyone has the right to determine what someone else does when faced with these impossible choices.  It absolutely infuriates me when people decide that their religious beliefs take precedence and that they know what's best for everyone else.  My late father's mantra was "live and let live."  I have adopted that as my mantra.  No one has the right to tell someone else how to live (or die).

I haven't seen anyone do so here.

I agree with you with respect to this thread.  I think the responses have been very respectful.  But, truth be told, many people, elsewhere on this board and in "real life", have decided that they know what's best in these circumstances.  My gut tells me that attitudes are changing in this regard, and that gives me great hope.  I understand that people have strong feelings on this issue.  As I said, as a Catholic, I, too, struggle with how I might feel if I were faced with this choice.  My only point here is that it doesn't matter what I or anyone else might decide.  Every individual should be free to make that choice for him or herself.

Occasional Contributor

aweful aweful disease, my dad lived with it for 8 years half at home half at a nursing home, but we all just about lived with him, he was never alone, sometimes even in the middle of the night, he

d call me w/ his rigged up phone my brother rigged up so he could just push one button on speaker phone. i always knew it was him," do you need me to come over dad", and if he answered with his little moan then i said " ok i be right there", sometimes just to sit w him n watch tv  hospice had never seen someone with so many complications have such a strong will to keep on going.........for us. he was a true character at heart teasing all the nurses as he zoomed speeding in his wheel chair, he had a feed tube for many many years, but we'd still catch him sneaking choc donuts into his room!. he couldnt talk but we sure knew what he was sayin., I saved my old answering machine with a message he left me one day when i was at work.......in his garbled moan no one else could understand it but we could he said..".vic its only me i'll call you later".  i still have it and i play it when i need to hear his voice. He past on july 22, 2007 2 days before Betsy had passed & the day after my parents wedding anniv. he was74 yrs young.  Its strange you know cause to him he was fine as long as we were always right beside him watchin Texas ranger & little house on the prairie every night.  I've wondered if Betsy had any children or a partner beside her.  Its so hard to say what we would each do, 12 yrs later i was diagnosed with MS, but im fine, i have my dads stubborness. Nothing could tear me away from my 3 daughters & 2 grandaughters.. Rest in heavenly peace Betsy,  but I'm sure you've met Joe already & he's got you plenty busy!   i love you dad     { omgosh this is too long, sorry guys}.

Respected Contributor

I, personally, have moral and faith-based issues with suicide. That is my personal belief, so please do not attack it. That being said, I believe that people with terminal illnesses should have the ability to peacefully end their lives, and for there to be regulations in place for doing this, so that it is done correctly, and in the best interests of the patient. I hope Betsey rests in peace. ALS is an absolutely tragic disease, and heartbreaking, especially at her young age. I cannot imagine. 

Honored Contributor

@mimers wrote:

aweful aweful disease, my dad lived with it for 8 years half at home half at a nursing home, but we all just about lived with him, he was never alone, sometimes even in the middle of the night, he

d call me w/ his rigged up phone my brother rigged up so he could just push one button on speaker phone. i always knew it was him," do you need me to come over dad", and if he answered with his little moan then i said " ok i be right there", sometimes just to sit w him n watch tv  hospice had never seen someone with so many complications have such a strong will to keep on going.........for us. he was a true character at heart teasing all the nurses as he zoomed speeding in his wheel chair, he had a feed tube for many many years, but we'd still catch him sneaking choc donuts into his room!. he couldnt talk but we sure knew what he was sayin., I saved my old answering machine with a message he left me one day when i was at work.......in his garbled moan no one else could understand it but we could he said..".vic its only me i'll call you later".  i still have it and i play it when i need to hear his voice. He past on july 22, 2007 2 days before Betsy had passed & the day after my parents wedding anniv. he was74 yrs young.  Its strange you know cause to him he was fine as long as we were always right beside him watchin Texas ranger & little house on the prairie every night.  I've wondered if Betsy had any children or a partner beside her.  Its so hard to say what we would each do, 12 yrs later i was diagnosed with MS, but im fine, i have my dads stubborness. Nothing could tear me away from my 3 daughters & 2 grandaughters.. Rest in heavenly peace Betsy,  but I'm sure you've met Joe already & he's got you plenty busy!   i love you dad     { omgosh this is too long, sorry guys}.

@mimers

Thank you for your post.  It is one of the most beautiful tributes I have ever read.  Your dad was a wonderful man, he had to have been because you all loved him so much.

And you, mimers, are wonderful in your own right.  I wish you the very best in your struggle with MS.

Noel

Regular Contributor

Mominohio...You said everything I would have written. 

I am terribly conflicted on this subject for the same reasons as yourself.

I wish I had a direct line to "The Man" so I could ask Him about this one....

Being that I have a serious medical condtion, I often wonder what I would

do in this situaiton, as being in this sitauiton has entered my

mind. What would I do?? I honestly don't know.  I only pray I never am faced with the degreee of suffering that would have me consider this chocie.  I pray that when "it's my time" I am graced, and the Lord takes me peacfully.  

Honored Contributor

@mimers wrote:

Absolutely beautiful! What a wonderful daughter you are. It's times like this why I continue to come here to participate.....posters such as yourself make it all worthwhile and help to teach me what true courage is.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I think many of us in this country are very torn with this subject and procedure (for lack of a better word from me right now).

Through our religious upbringing and or beliefs, to end one's life is wrong, it is not to be a decision left in our hands. But our sense of compassion for those suffering wants us to believe and understand that it just couldn't be wrong to stop that if a person decides while of sound mind, that this is how they wish it to be.

I sincerely struggle with this and I know many others do as well, and I hope that those that have chosen that path, are now at peace.

I don't have issues with folks making the decision that they choose to pass on.  The woman mentioned was sick and elderly.  She had lived out a life. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@Puzzle Piece The lady in the op post was 41.

Honored Contributor

I don't have a problem with her decision.

I do, wonder, however, for those who feel conflicted because of religious/spiritual beliefs...

do you also feel the same when someone else decides for you, like in the case of removing life support?  

There are people who end up in this position without a healthcare directive, for various reasons.

Honored Contributor

FUTURE wrote:

I, personally, have moral and faith-based issues with suicide. That is my personal belief, so please do not attack it. That being said, I believe that people with terminal illnesses should have the ability to peacefully end their lives, and for there to be regulations in place for doing this, so that it is done correctly, and in the best interests of the patient. I hope Betsey rests in peace. ALS is an absolutely tragic disease, and heartbreaking, especially at her young age. I cannot imagine. 

I really respect your opinion and attitude toward this issue!    While we might be on the opposite side of the fence, I find it truly admirable that you understand the difference between what you think is right for you, yet not trying to force it upon others.  Smiley Happy   

I think that's where the issue can get sticky.  There are some who do not believe in something, yet they also think they have the right to make laws forcing their beliefs upon everybody else.