Honored Contributor

Re: Tennessee, Kentucky et al: Hurricane Harvey

Those of us who live in the south, particularly the Gulf coast, pretty much stay prepared.   We've had a very wet summer.    For us it's Winter, Tornado Season, Monsoon Season, now Hurricane Season.

I think we all keep one eye on the weather but we don't let it rule our lives or we would be living underground.  Just because we are no longer watching Harvey coverage, doesn't mean we are not checking our local reports.

There's another potential hurricane, Irma,  forming in the Atlantic now, and one tropical storm just grazed the east coast.

The OPs post was a bit dramatic and not very fact-based.

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio, I'm in total agreement. What people don't realize is that water drains south, and down south, that water is going nowhere-which means some major rivers, creeks and tributaries can overflow and flood.

I'm sure you agree with me:1-2 inches of rain isn't terrible-but given what's going on in the South, I think there are going to be issues.

When we lived in Ohio (Vandalia) the closest body of water was a little lazy creek.

We took out flood insurance....it cost next to nothing-our insurance agent chuckled, but we have seen sweet little creeks become raging rivers-you especially in Ohio and Kentucky.

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Even checking the "local forecast" does not give you completely accurate information for every area.  The forecast is a general forcast for the viewing area.  It does not predict everything.  And it does not tell you that the ground is so saturated, it can't hold any more water!

Yesterday, we had a shower stall over us and rain hard for over an hour.  Today, I still have puddles standing in my yard.  

That was not predicted by our local TV because it can't pinpoint every shower.  

One subdivision in Bradenton flooded very bad and some areas only got a light rain for a long time.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

Even checking the "local forecast" does not give you completely accurate information for every area.  The forecast is a general forcast for the viewing area.  It does not predict everything.  And it does not tell you that the ground is so saturated, it can't hold any more water!

Yesterday, we had a shower stall over us and rain hard for over an hour.  Today, I still have puddles standing in my yard.  

That was not predicted by our local TV because it can't pinpoint every shower.  

One subdivision in Bradenton flooded very bad and some areas only got a light rain for a long time.  

Local forcasts are much more accurate than a post on the QVC message board encompassing numerious states.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Last I heard, 5 inches tomorrow and I do know that it is raining in Nashville right now. Smiley Happy

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

Maybe it was relevant to the OP?

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@software, I got my info from Dr. Greg Postel and Dr. Navarre (TWC). There are also a number of groups of professional meteorologists and students out there following all this.

I am what you would call a weather geek.....I'm not being overly dramatic I feel.....just a word of caution for those withdrawing from news....

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

@Zhills, Lee County was stricken badly: a nursing home by Lee Memmorial had to be evacuated-even now, there are people who have been displaced-entire neighborhoods. 

Not as bad as Houston in any way shape or form, but losing your home is traumatizing.

The Peace River was at flood stage....thank G%d that system has pushed out of here, but Charlotte, Lee and Collier are supersaturated.

I am keeping an eye on Irma-and stocking up on disposable aluminum, water and wipes! 

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

PS, that conversation about cheese grits haunts me....if only there was a low carb low fat alternative!

Honored Contributor

Indiana ,where my mom lives ,really needs rain.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

@Zhills, Lee County was stricken badly: a nursing home by Lee Memmorial had to be evacuated-even now, there are people who have been displaced-entire neighborhoods. 

Not as bad as Houston in any way shape or form, but losing your home is traumatizing.

The Peace River was at flood stage....thank G%d that system has pushed out of here, but Charlotte, Lee and Collier are supersaturated.

I am keeping an eye on Irma-and stocking up on disposable aluminum, water and wipes! 

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

PS, that conversation about cheese grits haunts me....if only there was a low carb low fat alternative!

I saw that on the net yesterday.  I have family on LIttle Gasparilla and friends in Englewood.  Manasota Key got a tornado.  My heart bleeds for Texas....I remember Andrew.  People forget that Florida has nowhere to drain!

Hope your properties are OK and you are safe.

P.S.  Sure you can't have those grits?  They sure are good.