Honored Contributor

Re: Telling kids there is no Santa

@cherry, that's just awful telling them there's no Santa- I am older and still believe..

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I certainly don't agree with how this pastor went about things, but I also believe there is room for both points of view.  Let the flaming begin, but when DH and I began our family we believed in being honest with our children about Christmas.  As Christians, we didn't want to promote the Santa story because it was in conflict with our doctrinal beliefs and the true meaning of Christmas.  We also didn't like the threat of "you'd better be good if you want Santa to bring you presents".  We wanted our kids to know that if they received a gift from anyone it was because that person or family loved them and the gift wasn't based on if they were good enough.  Our children were not harmed or emotionally scarred in the process.  That said, during their childhood, they had friends who did believe in Santa so we made sure our kids understood it as a game those friends played with their moms and dads and they weren't to spoil it for them by telling them Santa wasn't real.  That was a job for the moms and dads to do when they decided it was time.  

Honored Contributor

Gosh my sister and I were raised in a Christian home and we both were allowed to have imagination, the magic of the holiday and yet we understood the meaning.  I raised my only child the very same way and he grew up to be a wonderful man... he still loves Christmas!

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

There's no disconnect for me between the beliefs of Chistians as to the 'true' meaning of Christmas and the reality, like it or not, that there's evolved around the winter holiday a huge secular component. There's absolutely no reason why children can't be taught the Christian interpretation as to the significance of Christmas and still be allowed to enjoy the secular aspects of the holiday, many of which grew out of seasonal rather than strictly religious celebrations. As far as it goes, there's quite a bit of discussion as to when Jesus was actually born and many don't believe it was in December at all...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

There's no disconnect for me between the beliefs of Chistians as to the 'true' meaning of Christmas and the reality, like it or not, that there's evolved around the winter holiday a huge secular component. There's absolutely no reason why children can't be taught the Christian interpretation as to the significance of Christmas and still be allowed to enjoy the secular aspects of the holiday, many of which grew out of seasonal rather than strictly religious celebrations. As far as it goes, there's quite a bit of discussion as to when Jesus was actually born and many don't believe it was in December at all...

I'm actually one of them, but that's a discussion that probably wouldn't be allowed here anyway.    

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch  I respect your regard for truth.

Just yesterday, our four-year-old granddaughter was looking at, and playing with, our nativity set.   She and I had a nice conversation about Christmas being a huge birthday party, and I pointed out to her the birthday presents the 3 kings brought to the baby.  We talked very briefly about that being the reason we have presents at Christmas today.  She believes in Santa, and I was careful not to dissuade her belief.

When the time comes for her to learn the full truth, I see no reason why she cannot be told that Santa ( St. Nicholas) was a man that kept that love for children and the tradition of gift giving going.  Most cultures around the world have variations on the story, of course.  It feels trite to say, but Love is the reason for the season, regardless who brings it.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

I'm actually one of them, but that's a discussion that probably wouldn't be allowed here anyway.    

I am too, but unfortunately, you're probably right about the discussion being verboten. It's unfortunate because it's more an 'academic' discussion around a religious matter, but isn't 'religious' per se...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Frequent Contributor

What??? No Santa?  Sorry, I don't believe it. 

In all seriousness, that is mean.  I'm glad he was hauled off.  Life is difficult enough and I think it's important for kids to hold onto their innocence as long as possible. They grow up quickly enough.

Of course, in this case....Santa is real (wink).

Respected Contributor

I told my kids that if they chose not to believe, that was fine, but there were consequences.

They still believe in Santa.

Honored Contributor

Some people just have no couth.  I think I would have turned to him and said....."haven't you ever heard of Saint Nick".....go look it up on your computer?

I found out about Santa from some kids when I was about 7 or 8.  I remember being so disappointed.

Anyway, my Dad, who is in a nursing, home wanted to have his picture taken with Santa last week. He was finally well enough to leave his room and go to a Christmas party the home has every year. Families come and bring their kids. He is still just a hoot.  I can't wait to get the picture!