Honored Contributor

Re: Telling My Supervisor I Am Retiring Tomorrow

@silkyk  I totally agree with this.  When I was working I never left home without my watch on, and if I did I was 'lost' for the entire day.  Not that I looked at my watch but once or twice, I knew with it I had a handle on my day.

It's really easy to drop the habit of wearing a watch every day!

Honored Contributor

In most/many/some cases, union memberships can be very handy.  Just saying.  Lots of good luck to O/P.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

Time to congratulate Dell.  

Very Happy for You!

Honored Contributor

@kivah wrote:

Dell: I worked for 45 years - and retired 13 yrs ago. I was "just a secretary" being paid low salaries --- and put up with mean/manic bosses in several offices. The terrible jobs started in 1991 -- I was over 50 yrs old, didn't know the computer, people were being laid off as we were in a bad recession. Companies called themselves "lean and mean". Years prior, I enjoyed working for "normal" people - especially when I lived in New York. The job market changed. During the 1990s, I also had several temp jobs at different Blue Cross offices (in Calif) - and the female supervisors were mean and unfriendly. My last permanent job - I sued my employer and won a big settlement -- and used that money to buy my beautiful house in Oxnard, CA. So - it did pay off.

Looks like you have been through it. Hope you are happy now?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@silkyk  I totally agree with this.  When I was working I never left home without my watch on, and if I did I was 'lost' for the entire day.  Not that I looked at my watch but once or twice, I knew with it I had a handle on my day.

It's really easy to drop the habit of wearing a watch every day!

I totally have. If I want to know what time it is I look at the dash in my car or my phone.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I guess I am in the minority here.  I loved my job, coworkers and bosses.  I retired due to a move out of state and I gave six months notice which they were very appreciative of.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MacDUFF That is great!  I'm saving this as a reminder to myself that when things get "rough", it could be worse!Cat LOL

@Dell1  Best wishes to you on your retirement.  I have six and a half more years!Cat Very Happy

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dell1, Congratulations! I am happy for you, and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. You can sleep in, grocery shop on your own time, life will be easier, and the freedom is very wonderful. We have talked many times about this, and I wish you the best life has to offer. Smiley Happy

Bakery-Crafts-Image-Rainbow-Happy-Retirement.jpg

Respected Contributor

I am wishing you well. Taking early retirement was the best thing I ever did. My husband and I planned it in earnest for 2 1/2 years, and we both kegs our careers at the same time. You know what's strange? I almost decided to put off my giving notice for six months just three or so weeks before I was to do it. But fate/Spirit/God took a hand and I believe made something happen that made me know the original timetable was correct. My resignation letter having been written months earlier, I turned it in right on schedule and gave two weeks ' notice. A great day! I practically danced out of the building that day. When I left my long and successful career two weeks later, I never looked back. I expected a few tears, but they never came because I was sooooo ready to go. I tell you this because I hope that you have the same happy reaction and that your gut and/or your God tells you that you made the right decision for yourself! I'll be thinking of you. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

image.jpeg@Dell1

Goodbye Tension...Hello Pension (or mailbox $$$ as I call it)

Congrats I had 24.5 years in at my job and one day decided it was enough -- that was 14 years ago when I was I was 46. Best decision ever!

Enjoy! You'll be doing 💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻 As you walk out the door!