Valued Contributor

Re: Telling My Supervisor I Am Retiring Tomorrow

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Dell1

Just checking to make sure you survived the notification!  

How much notice are you giving?   Two weeks?    I bet you can't wait to walk out that door for the last time!    (And don't lose any sleep over any manual ... that's not your job .... it's up to management to do that.)

@Tinkrbl44, I survived the notification.  She came to my desk this a.m. to ask something and said we have supervision at 9 a.m.  I said I won't be able to make it as livescans (fingerprint) appointments have been scheduled.  I will catch you later today.  Then the appointment got cancelled so I let her know.  I went in for supervision and we went over normal work stuff that is going on.  I had typed a short memo and gave it to her.  She had known I was considering retiring but I had not set a date.

It is close to eight weeks and I know there have been many comments about the length of the notice but I did what I did and can't take it back.  I thank you all for your replies and encouragement.

Esteemed Contributor

Good luck, hope everything goes well. 

Honored Contributor

@Dell1 I am happy for you.Hope you don't find the time for those desk manuals..oh well that is going to be a task for the next person.You are going to feel so free!

Esteemed Contributor

@Dell1

Congratulations!

Training and/or desk manual?   Bwahahahahahahahahaha!

I'm semi-retired and loving it...but, looking forward to full retirement.  I don't hate my job, but I don't love it...I know it could be worse...

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

@Dell1, just remember - you have given them a date far in advance of what you're required to give. If you start to feel stressed, uncomfortable, browbeaten, picked on, singled out, etc you can always change your date. You can easily say you feel discrimination/being singled out for unpleasantness of whatever type, and that although you intended to work 2 more months, office conditions *since* you gave your notice have caused you to change your mind and it's 2 weeks effective that day.

At first I gave my supervisor a general target date 3-4 months in advance, but also let her know that if something really awful occurred within the office (and she knew exactly what I meant - if I was pushed too far) I'd be out the door in 2 weeks. Nothing they can do about that, and HR would be very interested in the reason for the change in dates.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

She will be able to get through the rest.  All @Dell1 need do is to literally smile back at any unpleasantness that might be thrown her way.  It can be done and it is a valuable exercise in self-restraint and how to be the bigger person.  She no longer has to be psychologically invested in her workplace.  Just keep smiling.  :-)) 

Respected Contributor

@Dell1

Hi Dell1, I just now saw this thread and was reminded of the time 12 years ago when I decided to retire.  Unlike you, I gave 6 months notice.  Those were some of the longest 6 months of my working life.  I had totally miscalculated the reaction of everyone starting with my boss.  Whenever he passed my office door he just stood there.  I could feel him looking at me but always ignored him for a while until I looked up and smiled at him.  Then he said one day "now you have to find a replacement for you; I don't want to have anything to do with it". But all 165 people in my division were really great and they gave me the greatest retirement party.  But I was so happy when I could go home at the end of the 6 months.

Retirement is great!  Enjoy it!

Respected Contributor

@Dell1 wrote:

@hoosieroriginal, I thought I would let you know I letting my supervisor know I am retiring tomorrow.  I dread it.  There is a long story as to why I am doing it this early which I am choosing to not share but just want to let you know.  So I will let you know how it goes tomorrow.  When previous clerical staff have left our office, all of a sudden management decides they want desk manuals on every task known to man that we do.  Even though there are 17 or so left that do the all the same tasks I do.  And while they want the desk manual written, they still want every task still done that I normally do.

Wish me well if you would be so kind to do so.

@Dell1 - wishing you well and many happy years of retirement - It really is just the best - I really don't know how I got everything done when I was working - I'm still very busy - I recently started working 8 hours a week at my old job just to help them out - but they are moving the office much farther away - so I will probably be retiring yet again - I'm enjoying the extra money - but the travel will not be worth it for me.  Enjoy!

Respected Contributor

@Dell1 wrote:

@september wrote:

Dell, I sense you're somewhat unsure of this?  But I hope it works out well for you.

Oh no @september, I am not unsure.  I have done my online retirement application with CalPERS in May, done my homework with Social Security and Medi-Care.  Just don't want the last eight weeks at the office to be harder than the last 21½ years have been.  My office is a pressure cooker for sure and also very negative.  I need to go for my mental and physical health.

@Dell1 - I totally do not believe in giving more than two weeks' notice - eight weeks?  really?  A lot of things can go bad in eight weeks - the way I look at it, if they were going to get rid of you, you wouldn't get 8 weeks notice!

Esteemed Contributor

Dell: I worked for 45 years - and retired 13 yrs ago. I was "just a secretary" being paid low salaries --- and put up with mean/manic bosses in several offices. The terrible jobs started in 1991 -- I was over 50 yrs old, didn't know the computer, people were being laid off as we were in a bad recession. Companies called themselves "lean and mean". Years prior, I enjoyed working for "normal" people - especially when I lived in New York. The job market changed. During the 1990s, I also had several temp jobs at different Blue Cross offices (in Calif) - and the female supervisors were mean and unfriendly. My last permanent job - I sued my employer and won a big settlement -- and used that money to buy my beautiful house in Oxnard, CA. So - it did pay off.