Valued Contributor

Re: Telling My Supervisor I Am Retiring Tomorrow

I dunno but to me 8 weeks sounds like a lot of time.   When I retired I gave my supervisor notice the day I came back after the Labor Day holiday and then I officially retired on Sep. 30.   My office environment wasn't bad and the people I worked with were OK with me but still 3 weeks seemed like enough prior notice to me.  I didn't have to write a manual of everything I did but there was one aspect of my job regarding bank reconciliations that I wrote up some instructions prior to leaving to help the next person along.   Enjoy your retirement.

Valued Contributor

Awesome words!Smiley Surprised  It sounds like the party is over.  I do wish Dell 1 well.

Trusted Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

I'm not sure I would give them 8 weeks notice. Companies have a way of making your life miserable if they decide to. 

Right, if one were taking another position the usual is two weeks notice.  Some companies expect more, but, what will they do, give a bad reference?  I think not.

Honored Contributor

@Dell1 wrote:

@hoosieroriginal, I thought I would let you know I letting my supervisor know I am retiring tomorrow.  I dread it.  There is a long story as to why I am doing it this early which I am choosing to not share but just want to let you know.  So I will let you know how it goes tomorrow.  When previous clerical staff have left our office, all of a sudden management decides they want desk manuals on every task known to man that we do.  Even though there are 17 or so left that do the all the same tasks I do.  And while they want the desk manual written, they still want every task still done that I normally do.

Wish me well if you would be so kind to do so.

@Dell1

Just checking to make sure you survived the notification!  

How much notice are you giving?   Two weeks?    I bet you can't wait to walk out that door for the last time!    (And don't lose any sleep over any manual ... that's not your job .... it's up to management to do that.)

Honored Contributor

Good Luck and...

Honored Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Dell1 wrote:

@september wrote:

Dell, I sense you're somewhat unsure of this?  But I hope it works out well for you.

Oh no @september, I am not unsure.  I have done my online retirement application with CalPERS in May, done my homework with Social Security and Medi-Care.  Just don't want the last eight weeks at the office to be harder than the last 21½ years have been.  My office is a pressure cooker for sure and also very negative.  I need to go for my mental and physical health.

Why are you giving 2 months notice - you are setting yourself up for them to know they can abuse you for 2 months. I'd give 2 weeks.

@151949 wrote:

@Dell1 wrote:

@september wrote:

Dell, I sense you're somewhat unsure of this?  But I hope it works out well for you.

Oh no @september, I am not unsure.  I have done my online retirement application with CalPERS in May, done my homework with Social Security and Medi-Care.  Just don't want the last eight weeks at the office to be harder than the last 21½ years have been.  My office is a pressure cooker for sure and also very negative.  I need to go for my mental and physical health.

Why are you giving 2 months notice - you are setting yourself up for them to know they can abuse you for 2 months. I'd give 2 weeks.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

She stated that she had lined up her SS and Medicare so my guess is that she is timing this to her eligibility for both.

That was my thought as well. It's what I had to do. I needed to be sure money was being deposited, and without a hitch, and that my Medicare coverage and supplement were official and in-hand, so to speak, before my last working paycheck. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Valued Contributor

They could find a reason to fire you just because..  It save them from paying the Retirement pay.  If there is a health issue that can't be disputed w/ a doctor's sign off stating the position is harmful to the health of the employee.

Honored Contributor

@63Chev63 wrote:

They could find a reason to fire you just because..  It save them from paying the Retirement pay.  If there is a health issue that can't be disputed w/ a doctor's sign off stating the position is harmful to the health of the employee.

@A60_Chevy

Even if an employee is fired "for cause", that doesn't mean the employer gets to keep any money they have accrued in their retirement fund.    What makes you believe they can keep the money?

Valued Contributor

I replied to someone.  I am in full support of Dell 1 as we communicated last eve.  

Valued Contributor

@63Chev63 wrote:

@A60_Chevy, I have no worries about being fired.  There are many in this office that have worked a number of years.  Also I am represented by a Union.  I know many hate Unions but they do protect their members in cases like this.  I really don't want this thread to end up in a war over Unions.  A woman retired the end of April who had worked here 30 years and there is another woman near retirement who has worked over 30 years.