Super Contributor

Re: Telling My Supervisor I Am Retiring Tomorrow

Remember Dell 1,

No one gives you power, they only take it away. Stay strong, wishing you much happiness in the future.

Honored Contributor

I'd say, only give 2 weeks notice if I were you. The rest can be your secret, and procrastinate on that manual. JMHO. Less dread, smart remarks, envy, they others will go through loss like someone passing away. (Probably). No need to put yourself through that. If they fired you, here today, gone tomorrow. Would they then ask you to do a manual? Take that pressure off yourself.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

WOW!!  Keeping manuals on duties should be the supervisor's responsibilitiy so he/she knows what is to be done by every worker!!  When I worked, I  kept up to date detailed job duty manuals for every worker in the unit that I was in charge of supervising.  I can't imagine doing performance ratings for employees without having them!!  I needed to know since a sampling of workers' work needed reviewed monthly. 

Good luck and congratulations!!  It is so freeing!!

Respected Contributor

Best of luck to you!

Respected Contributor

I would only give 8 weeks notice if it was required due to benefits, position, or something like that-- otherwise, I consider that too much notice.

I also am conflicted about the idea that if the employer asks you to do something before you leave, part of me says "no way, I am leaving" and part of me says "always leave on a high note, you never know if you will need them in the future".  Of course, if the task were illegal or the like, I would not do it no matter what, lol.

I do wish you the very best.  The countdown idea that you do is great!!

Esteemed Contributor

My husband retired in early 2008, though he'd been planning it for quite awhile. Although he wanted me to retire, I told him I'd retire when I felt ready and he accepted that. I recalled three miserable things happening on the same day in the spring that made that light bulb go off over my head. I sat down and wrote a letter to my supervisor announcing my retirement. It felt good and took only five minutes to compose. 

I never looked back and never regretted it. However, a search had to be conducted for my replacement and I would have to train that individual since my job was quite complicated. I agreed to wait 6 months before actually leaving. I wasn't thrilled about it but I got through it, knowing I was all but out the door. Retirement is one of the best decisions I ever made. Good luck to you, O/P!

Trusted Contributor

Good luck Dell! I was laid off on Friday but too early to retire for me:-( I am so glad to be out of my office....I enjoyed my job as I was a recruiter for a school but I hated the management. I had 8 bosses in 3.5 years and it's a sales job so there was always threats about production. The more I performed the more they expected. They are moving that side of the business to a call center....much less focused on the client. Oh well, I am glad it's over!!!!! I have a sick father, son and sister so I can stay home for a few months because my family needs me. I have some money saved and I am going to take my time to find the right job for me. For three months I knew this was happening and I thought they might create a position as I was a top performer but nothing can stop greedy executives who can only see green, the clients will suffer in the long run.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Give them 2 weeks notice, max.  Companies want you out, once you give them notice. imo

If you can afford to retire, do it., Good luck.

Respected Contributor

I definitely agree with the 2 weeks notice, but if you can't for whatever reason, you shouldn't even be worrying about the last few weeks on any level.  You are out of there.  Just do your usual best work and ignore others no matter how they may treat you.  If there are nasty individuals, that is their shortcoming.  Just keep in mind you will never be seeing them again!  I wish you the best of luck.

Honored Contributor

@Dell1 wrote:

@september wrote:

Dell, I sense you're somewhat unsure of this?  But I hope it works out well for you.

Oh no @september, I am not unsure.  I have done my online retirement application with CalPERS in May, done my homework with Social Security and Medi-Care.  Just don't want the last eight weeks at the office to be harder than the last 21½ years have been.  My office is a pressure cooker for sure and also very negative.  I need to go for my mental and physical health.

Why are you giving 2 months notice - you are setting yourself up for them to know they can abuse you for 2 months. I'd give 2 weeks.