Valued Contributor

Re: Telling My Supervisor I Am Retiring Tomorrow

FB is filled w/ poo.Smiley Embarassed  I would retired also.  

Today is my 32nd anniversary..  I retired him and i feel free. I do not have the blue paper but I have my freedom now 10 plus yrs.

Esteemed Contributor

@Dell1 wrote:

@hoosieroriginal, I thought I would let you know I letting my supervisor know I am retiring tomorrow.  I dread it.  There is a long story as to why I am doing it this early which I am choosing to not share but just want to let you know.  So I will let you know how it goes tomorrow.  When previous clerical staff have left our office, all of a sudden management decides they want desk manuals on every task known to man that we do.  Even though there are 17 or so left that do the all the same tasks I do.  And while they want the desk manual written, they still want every task still done that I normally do.

Wish me well if you would be so kind to do so.

Good luck!  Your life is about to change tremendously!

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

Best of luck!  I'm sure you are ready if you feel it's time!  

Have fun!  Now you can "do lunch"!!!Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

Goodnight/Morning.

Honored Contributor

@Dell1 wrote:

@september wrote:

Dell, I sense you're somewhat unsure of this?  But I hope it works out well for you.

Oh no @september, I am not unsure.  I have done my online retirement application with CalPERS in May, done my homework with Social Security and Medi-Care.  Just don't want the last eight weeks at the office to be harder than the last 21½ years have been.  My office is a pressure cooker for sure and also very negative.  I need to go for my mental and physical health.

@Dell1, I TOTALLY get this. I retired at the end of January from very much a pressure cooker, stressful, everyone-hated-everyone job. My prediction is that after you tell them, you will feel like an anvil has been lifted off your back.

As for your remaining time - you will have given your notice; you are retiring. They can want all sorts of things from you, but that doesn't mean you need to feel you must do it. You can go in every single remaining day with a secret grin, thinking "In X number of days, I'm getting OUT of here! I don't NEED to stress and worry any more, I'm COUNTING DOWN!"

Don't worry too much and don't let them stress you out any more. You're going to be FREE!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Best of luck, @Dell1!  

Valued Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Dell1 wrote:

@september wrote:

Dell, I sense you're somewhat unsure of this?  But I hope it works out well for you.

Oh no @september, I am not unsure.  I have done my online retirement application with CalPERS in May, done my homework with Social Security and Medi-Care.  Just don't want the last eight weeks at the office to be harder than the last 21½ years have been.  My office is a pressure cooker for sure and also very negative.  I need to go for my mental and physical health.

@Dell1, I TOTALLY get this. I retired at the end of January from very much a pressure cooker, stressful, everyone-hated-everyone job. My prediction is that after you tell them, you will feel like an anvil has been lifted off your back.

As for your remaining time - you will have given your notice; you are retiring. They can want all sorts of things from you, but that doesn't mean you need to feel you must do it. You can go in every single remaining day with a secret grin, thinking "In X number of days, I'm getting OUT of here! I don't NEED to stress and worry any more, I'm COUNTING DOWN!"

Don't worry too much and don't let them stress you out any more. You're going to be FREE!

@Moonchilde, I copied the payroll calendar from when I secretly made my decision in April.  I have it on my refrigerator.  When I come home each day from work, I highlight the day with a green marker.  On a Friday I highlight Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.  It is nice seeing more days highlighted to the end of July and less to highlight.  I don't think managment knows or even gets the stress put on the staff there and the discontent.  But I have fought the good fight, raised my kids as a single Mother while working there and am now 65 years old and need to go.

When staff says oh sorry Dell sorry this is late but I need this to go to court today and it is already 11 a.m.  No wonder my blood pressure is up at times and I can go to sleep at 8 p.m. on a work night due to sheer exhaustion.  Thanks for your reply.

Honored Contributor

You GO, girl! 🍾🍰🍹

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Dell1

Hi Dell, it's so good to see you here Smiley Happy

I'm sorry you've been having such a hard time at work.  Hang in there, you will be out of there soon.

Honored Contributor

@Dell1 wrote:

@hoosieroriginal, I thought I would let you know I letting my supervisor know I am retiring tomorrow.  I dread it.  There is a long story as to why I am doing it this early which I am choosing to not share but just want to let you know.  So I will let you know how it goes tomorrow.  When previous clerical staff have left our office, all of a sudden management decides they want desk manuals on every task known to man that we do.  Even though there are 17 or so left that do the all the same tasks I do.  And while they want the desk manual written, they still want every task still done that I normally do.

Wish me well if you would be so kind to do so.

@Dell1

Well, I wish you the best!!     How much notice are you giving?    A couple weeks?

One of my favorite quotes has many applications :

"One of the most important skills in life is knowing when to leave the party,"  

Sounds to me that it's time to leave the party ....