Honored Contributor

My husband has been working from home.   They use a VPN and it's been running smoothly.  

I've always worked from home.  No change for me. 

Esteemed Contributor

As long as your employer invests in a decent system it works fine.  I have done it.  Would save a lot of office rent and commuting.

Honored Contributor

I don't care where people work.  But when I need Customer Service from some company, I'd like to be able to get in touch with a real person without holding online for 30 minutes or being cut off completely.  Or waiting for someone to call me back in two days so I can spend my money with them.

Honored Contributor

Some jobs and some aspects of other jobs are amenable to telework but there are some things that need to be accomplished at the place of business with one's business associates. I do hope one positive outcome from this whole mess is that the stick in the mud bosses who have resisted telework are now forced to see that it can make a great deal of sense and have a number of positive side effects related to not having to endure commuting.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@SandGirl wrote:

I work virtually 1-2 days a week and have for over 10 years, my employer has us all 100% virtual at this time, there is not even one thing I cannot do from home, the only diff. is, I am working more and longer hours becasue I don't have to commute and the excess office talk is null, I think we area all getting more done actually.

Cuts down on traffic too, I really think more companies should take a look at virtual and have the employees that can maybe do desk share and work say 50% or more virtually, it would save them in office space, reduce traffic and better for the environment not to mention mental health, my stress level has dropped quite a bit just by not having to commute, my fitbit shows my resting HR has been way down and I've been feeling better and sleeping better.

Anyways, just wanted to chime in  Smiley Happy

================================================

Some people just like getting up and getting "dressed" ... to go somewhere ...

I'd rather do virtual;  it's just more productive, IMHO ... no traffic, no driving, no loafing at the water fountain and no spending money on lunch!  I can eat lunch at home!

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

Re: Telework vs. Office

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

Some jobs and some aspects of other jobs are amenable to telework but there are some things that need to be accomplished at the place of business with one's business associates. I do hope one positive outcome from this whole mess is that the stick in the mud bosses who have resisted telework are now forced to see that it can make a great deal of sense and have a number of positive side effects related to not having to endure commuting.

=====================================

Like New York!  Nothing worse than having to stand on a crowded train AM & PM in an enclosed space with millions of germs .. and sick people who go to work because think "DAY-QUIL" is "medicine".

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

Personally, I can't wait to get back to work in our office environment and actually get to see our clients and my office group.  It is much easier to work at our physical location than from home. There is much that requires personal interaction with clients, my boss and other employees.

I do not have a long commute currently although I have several times in the past and to me that was just part of having an interesting job in the city, enjoying my co-workers, running around town on my lunch hour and actually going out to lunch.  Besides, I like to get "dressed up!"  

Valued Contributor

We are fortunate  my husband can work from home when necessary. We live in a small townhome so that doesn't leave much room for him to do his work though. He also misses the interaction with his co-workers. 

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

States "opening up" offices ...

I don't understand why people who have been teleworking for the last month will be expected to go to an office in a few weeks. Why?

That doesn't make sense.

@RinaRina 

I have a feeling that more companies will now become more accepting of working from home, as long as the IT infrastructure can handle the load.  It seems like it would save organizations money by not having as many people in the office, i.e., condensing of office space.

I've been working from home full-time for 5 years & we do have the infrastructure for it.  However, when in a matter of 2 days, all of the sudden our entire department (~300 people) had to start working from home, we did have to stand up new infrastructure to handle all the online meetings.  Of course, when we do start allowing people to go back to work from the office, it will probably be done in phases.  I know many are chomping at the bit to go back, but I'm not.  I love working from home.  Some people are cut out for it & some aren't.  I'm thankful our company offered it long before our this crisis.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@SandGirl wrote:

I work virtually 1-2 days a week and have for over 10 years, my employer has us all 100% virtual at this time, there is not even one thing I cannot do from home, the only diff. is, I am working more and longer hours becasue I don't have to commute and the excess office talk is null, I think we area all getting more done actually.

Cuts down on traffic too, I really think more companies should take a look at virtual and have the employees that can maybe do desk share and work say 50% or more virtually, it would save them in office space, reduce traffic and better for the environment not to mention mental health, my stress level has dropped quite a bit just by not having to commute, my fitbit shows my resting HR has been way down and I've been feeling better and sleeping better.

Anyways, just wanted to chime in  Smiley Happy

@SandGirl 

Many of the points you make I've been telling my employer for years.  I am much more productive working from home because there are fewer distractions.  I concentrate better without all the noise.  I save money on car expenses, gas, parking, general maintence, etc.  I have 3 extra hours a day (1.5 hours each way to the office).

Working from home does take discipline.  Our employer began offering as a work/life balance benefit.  There are several things I always suggest to those new to working from home.

1) have dedicated office space;the couch is not an office

2) keep standard office hours; whatever your standard office hours are at the office should be the same when your office is in the home; otherwise, it defeats the purpose of work/life balance

3) NO household chores during standard work hours.  You wouldn't be able to do it at the office; it's a no-no at home.  Employers don't pay us to do laundry

4) remember to take a lunch break, just as you would if working in the office

5) start & end your day on time; if your work day ends at 4pm (or whenever), leave the office, go into the living room and say, "honey, I'm home!".  Tomorrow is a new day.

6) Weekends are FAMILY time, not corporate time.

I have a lot more pointers but you get the gist.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.