Valued Contributor

Re: Television Without Pity Relaunching

@Donovan wrote:

@Lsk wrote:

@Donovan wrote:

I enjoyed TWoP very much.  I liked how you could snark away about the shows, but couldn't be snarky about your fellow posters. They were pretty strict about that - times outs and posters being banned were a daily thing there. 

I wish this site was like that.

What I understood this thread about shopping  and about show hosts not about just shows. Hosts, people like us who trying to make a living and they put on threads for this. Nothing funny there.In short thanks QVC that this site was not like this.

Or and this my opinion like everybody here but don't we try to educate our kids to be respectable to people around and not snarky? 

'I liked how you could snark away about the shows, but couldn't be snarky about your fellow posters.'

Shows, not people and certainly not other posters. I wish this site was more like that.

I loved the MadMen discussion - so many people seeing the same scene different ways.  

Good times that you couldn't have on this site because people derail them with personal attacks or scolding people for having a different opinion than they do.

No personal attacks or scolding people , just having different opinion like you said.

Honored Contributor

The point that most people are not getting is that while TWOP as a whole was about snarking the *shows*, and *fictional characters*, in the area where shopping channels were discussed, the snarking was about the HOSTS, as individual, real human beings. Anything you have ever seen here on these forums about hosts that went on to be deleted was Mary Had a Little Lamb compared to what was said about the hosts and vendors on TWOP. The way most people experienced the site was NOT the way it worked when discussing QVC, HSN, etc. I'm sure that many of the worst offenders here are old TWOPers, who think they should be able to do the same thing here.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I'm not sure that anyone said about TWOP and PreviouslyTV that there was no snarking on QVC, HSN etc. hosts. Also on the Duggars, The Little Couple(mostly  judgemental people about raising children). I'm sure many other show that I don't watch. That is the purpose of the sight. 

I get get what you are saying. However, everyone is free to read whatever Internet forums they would like. But keep on telling everyone what they should or shouldn't do. No, I don't post there, but I do read about the shows I watch. Some snark worthy. Some not.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I'm not sure that anyone said about TWOP and PreviouslyTV that there was no snarking on QVC, HSN etc hosts.

I get get what you are saying. However, everyone is free to read whatever Internet forums they would like. But keep on telling everyone what they should or shouldn't do. No, I don't post there, but I do read about the shows I watch. Some snark worthy. Some not.

So - by your own admission you're not sure what anyone said here about TWOP, QVC, hosts and snark. So, you must not have read the thread or the posts to not know what was said, but you can state "keep on telling people what they should and shouldn't do" - when not one single post in this entire thread does anything remotely like telling people what they should and shouldn't do.

I'm not sure how you equate expressing an opinion of the site with telling others what to do. That really puzzles me.

Honored Contributor

Sunshine45 wrote:

VanSleepy wrote:

What I read over there is people snarking on the ridiculous storylines/writing and the characters. There are also sections for speculating on what may happen next on a show spoilers, etc.  Yes, there is a lot of "brutality" on certain forums, but that's not the entire site.  

yes, there are different areas to read.....the one that contained the shopping channel threads were quite snarky and downright mean towards hosts.

I'd never heard of the site until it was mentioned in a  thread here a while back.   It doesn't bother me to see snark about tv shows, not at all.   But I agree the posts about individual hosts on shopping channels were hate-filled and nasty.    That never has appealed to me...  and I don't think I'll ever understand why it's appealing to anyone, to post or to read.   I think some people get a perverse pleasure out of using anonymous nicknames and cutting and shredding others.   What an awful way to get an adrenalin rush, or whatever it is.Smiley

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LyndaGee wrote:

f you missed a show, they had good recaps.  Hope that feature is returning.

@LyndaGee, I did see some good recaps there, after the site was recommended in a thread here.    BuddyTV and Entertainment Weekly have good recaps.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@VanSleepy wrote:

What I read over there is people snarking on the ridiculous storylines/writing and the characters. There are also sections for speculating on what may happen next on a show spoilers, etc.  Yes, there is a lot of "brutality" on certain forums, but that's not the entire site.  

yes, there are different areas to read.....the one that contained the shopping channel threads were quite snarky and downright mean towards hosts.

I'd never heard of the site until it was mentioned in a  thread here a while back.   It doesn't bother me to see snark about tv shows, not at all.   But I agree the posts about individual hosts on shopping channels were hate-filled and nasty.    That never has appealed to me...  and I don't think I'll ever understand why it's appealing to anyone, to post or to read.   I think some people get a perverse pleasure out of using anonymous nicknames and cutting and shredding others.   What an awful way to get an adrenalin rush, or whatever it is.Smiley

@dooBdoo wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@VanSleepy wrote:

@dooBdoo, you will have observed over time that I am not averse to snark ;-) and I did read TWOP shopping channel threads, and even posted a few times. But then they started in on a host I like - and it was made very clear the thread was ONLY for bashing, NO balanced contributions wanted.

I started just looking at what was said, by whom, and the reactions "got and sought" and I saw more clearly that it was a Mean Girls Popularity Contest. There were cliques within cliques, and posting to continually "top" someone else, get a better/more reaction, virtual high-fives, and the like. It was more competing for Most Clever Girl, Nastiest Girl, etc. with posters continually trying to best one another. That was when I lost interest altogether, when I saw the actual purposr for many of them.

Respected Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@LyndaGee wrote:

f you missed a show, they had good recaps.  Hope that feature is returning.

@LyndaGee, I did see some good recaps there, after the site was recommended in a thread here.    BuddyTV and Entertainment Weekly have good recaps.

Thank you!  I will check that out. 

Respected Contributor

I read some of the posts there, and I got the impression it was more about who could be the most creative at posting a snarky comment. I found it a little ridiculous that these people spent their time that way, and finally realized I shouldn't be spending my time reading such ridiculously rude comments that meant nothing in the long run. I'm not entertained by people who constantly rag on people. Waste of time, and seriously, what is the point??
Honored Contributor

I enjoyed reading the realty tv/home shopping forums.

Less censorship there imo.