Respected Contributor

Re: Television Without Pity Relaunching

Oops. Sorry. The site is www.avclub.com

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

It was a snark site for TV shows. Posters couldn't snark on one another, only the TV shows. Previously TV seems to have taken over for TWOP.

I think maybe it depended on what forum you followed or participated in.  I only followed a few and they were just for fun and not cruel or mean. 

I think many posters who had been on TWOP migrated over to Previously TV (who had what looks like a great upgrade this week) so I wonder if those folks will migrate back.

Honored Contributor

I believe it was someone else who said cruel and mean. I said it was a snark site. Television Without Pity. 

Respected Contributor

What I read over there is people snarking on the ridiculous storylines/writing and the characters. There are also sections for speculating on what may happen next on a show spoilers, etc.  Yes, there is a lot of "brutality" on certain forums, but that's not the entire site.  

Honored Contributor

The information was posted to the A.V. club website as a news bit.  The A.V. Club was not the purchaser (nor do they have forums), only the reporter. The purchaser was Tribune Media.

According to IB Times, 

"The archives remain offline, and judging from what Tribune Media says it has planned, the “revived” TWoP doesn’t sound like a return to the site’s roots."

I can hear the howls of disappointment now.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

VanSleepy wrote:

What I read over there is people snarking on the ridiculous storylines/writing and the characters. There are also sections for speculating on what may happen next on a show spoilers, etc.  Yes, there is a lot of "brutality" on certain forums, but that's not the entire site.  

yes, there are different areas to read.....the one that contained the shopping channel threads were quite snarky and downright mean towards hosts.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

Say what you like about Previously TV, but there are some really funny posters there who often hit the nail on the head.Truth isn't always pretty, but it can be amusing.

"Truth" is in the eye of the beholder.

Honored Contributor

@VanSleepy wrote:

But their forum for non-fiction and news shows, where the QVC thread sat, didn't *have* "characters." The snark was all about the hosts (real people), all the time. With NO filters or barriers of any kind. And woe betide any poster in that forum who ever had anything to say that was supportive in any way. It was a "Whee! Let's bash & shred QVC hosts" forum. Period.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I believe it was someone else who said cruel and mean. I said it was a snark site. Television Without Pity. 

Oh I apologize @proudlyfromNJ as I was agreeing with you in your original  post.  I am sorry that did not translate correctly.  

Honored Contributor

I used to love going to TWOP the day after Mad Men aired. So many people posted with their take on the episode and I found things I never even thought about as I watch it. That particular show forum was very popular.