Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I would have just deleted the picture, and thought nothing more of it.

I wouldn't have gotten the law enforcement involved.

And block the number it was sent from, and gone on about my day.  I wouldn't waste any time arguing with whoever sent that in error.

Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819   I asked my boss and followed his advise as a lawyer.  My fear was this knucklehead doing it again and some little kid getting it. 

During my rant to Stan I let him know I worked in a law  office,maybe that scared him enough to be more careful what number he called.

Respected Contributor

For 2 loooonnnnggg years I worked the switchboard that covered 4 then 5 divisions of a manufacturing company. Approximately 3,000 people on site. You would not believe how many people called and asked for someone by their 1st name only! 

Also the wives that called for their husbands without knowing what department he worked in, or even which company (predominately male employees by far)! To be fair, there were a couple of different contractors that supplied personnel to the various companies, along with those actually employed by those companies (yes, it was confusing). I really tried to help, down to asking "what color hard hat does your husband wear?". Different companies wore different colors. That way, I could at least connect them to the personnel department for that company.

I was never so glad to transfer to another job in my life!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@vermint   Oh, that would have driven me crazy. I can't imagine that many people to deal with.

I too liked the first name only folks. Ask for a name, guy just says Tom.  

I also had the calls, I need to talk to the att.he's handling my divorce.  I need your name, we have 15 divorce cases going on your's is not the only one.

One needs patience working with the public and after so many decades of dealing with it I have no patience left.

Valued Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I was always polite but so many responses went thru my head somedays.

I aslo had people call and ask if a husband, Mother or sibling had an appointment or was he representing them.  I couldn't tell anyone who had appts.or were clients.Usually they got snippy, but good grief,we can't tell people that.

I hung a small sign out of sight of the public that said :Bang head here!!

We had one of those signs in our office and whenever someone annoying left our office my office mate and I would run over together and bang our heads It's great for relieving the stress. It made us laugh about it.

Honored Contributor

Sometimes people say "who is this" when they call a number expecting  to hear the person they are calling answer and they get a strange voice.  I know I've done that.  If Uncle Bill always answers his phone and you call and hear a different voice, "who is this" automatically pops out.    

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Sometimes people say "who is this" when they call a number expecting  to hear the person they are calling answer and they get a strange voice.  I know I've done that.  If Uncle Bill always answers his phone and you call and hear a different voice, "who is this" automatically pops out.    

@chrystaltree I may hesitate if a strange voice answers, but then I'll say "may I speak to" whoever it is I'm calling. My daddy ingrained that with his children. We never said "who is this", and if it was said to us we were allowed to say "Who are you calling?" He did the same and I still do that to this day!

Those stupid robo calls that I sometimes answer...I'll occasionally wait after saying hello a couple of times, then the caller will say "hello?" And I'll answer "No! You called me! I say hello, and YOU say 'May I speak to?'" Then I hang up.

Respected Contributor

I will never forget a call I got at work many years ago.  This was way before there was voicemail.

The person they were calling for was out at an appointment.  When I answered, I said "the company name" and he asked if Mr. ______ was in.  I said he was out for an appointment, but he would be back later.

I asked if I could take a message and the guy said "do you have a pen" and I said "yes".  He then said, "well, you can take it and stick it up your (female part starting with a V) and hung up.

I was mortified and the other worker next to me saw my face.  She asked what happened and when I told her, she said, "well, it takes all kinds".

Esteemed Contributor

@HisElk1  Oh my God, what is wrong with people. My boss was good about us not taking verbal abuse from people. We weren't expected to take it, and he read the riot act to an attorney from another county because he was so nasty to us when he called.

When you mentioned your boss being out it reminded me of something, A guy called and asked for the attorney and I said "I'm sorry he's in Court".  I got "What do you mean he's in court?"  He's in court, he has a hearing. He hung up on me.

What a shock layers at courthouses.  Is this guy surprised doctors gather at hospitals?

After a few years my husband stoppped asking how my day was.  lol

Trusted Contributor

It's funny how things have changed.  When I was young, my mother taught my brother and I that when we answered the phone at home we were to pick up and say " (Hello, our last name) , residence"   ..That sounds so silly to me now, but my mom thought it was proper for children answering a phone.